Health Risk Greater Than Cancer

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by wdlove, Oct 8, 2003.

1. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Risk of developing Diabetes is greater than the risk of cancer and is on the rise. Those born in 2000 have a 1 in 3 chance of developing diabetes. Lifetime risk is 32 - 35%. It is important to walk at least 30 minutes per day, or 15 minutes twice a day. The exercise will decrease blood sugar and blood pressure that will help to decrease compilcations of the disease. The link gives a lot of information on the disease, facts, prevention, and treatment. With our aging population this is even more important.

http://www.thebostonchannel.com/health/2537784/detail.html?treets=bos&tml=bos_health&ts=T&tmi=bos_health_1_12150110082003

2. Phil Of Mac macrumors 68020

Phil Of Mac

Re: Health Risk Greater Than Cancer

How about 10 minutes three times a day?

How about 5 minutes six times a day?

How about 1 minute 30 times a day?

No?

3. neut macrumors 68000

neut

hopeless

exercise will never help someone unless it's done right. even just correcting your posture in everyday activities (standing, sitting, etc.) can help a lot.

worrying yourself about health risks is a self-fulfilling prophecy.

everyone needs to find a stimulating physical activity that they enjoy. why not break-dancing instead of walking? sounds like more fun to me :)

no mental activity = stupid angry people

no physical activity = fat depressed people

death is creeping up on everyone. why give him a reason? and why show him the odds?

peace.

4. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

While I have nothing but respect for good breakdancers, it seems like a very ineffective mode of transportation.

5. Phil Of Mac macrumors 68020

Phil Of Mac

6. mac15 macrumors 68040

mac15

is it me or you can't do anything without dieing?

7. neut macrumors 68000

neut

need to go somewhere?

running from death is a very ineffective way to live. ;)

8. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

-Counterfit

I was thinking the same thing.

9. wdlove thread starter macrumors P6

wdlove

As a nation we are living longer. I think that the whole idea to prevent disease by some exercise is a good idea. It is a quality of life issue. I agree that we are all going to die. The longer life will be better spent with less disabiliting diseases. If we can prevent disabilty it is worth the effort.

10. Phil Of Mac macrumors 68020

Phil Of Mac

I think everyone should do martial arts. People would be healthier and there would be less crime.

11. neut macrumors 68000

neut

true, true.

i practice a form of tae kwon do, ti chi, and dancing (my own forms of course). its a great exercise that uses your self...perform this anywhere you have the room.

great dynamic meditation.

12. Dros macrumors 6502

If suburbs were changed so that people could walk to markets and jobs, that would solve health issues and reduce dependence on oil, reduce cost of building road infrastructure, reduce the amount people feel they need to spend on cars. All they would have to give up is a little of their expanse of grass, and be willing to sometimes live near people of other economic classes. I know, it isn't going to happen.

13. Phil Of Mac macrumors 68020

Phil Of Mac

I think it would definitely be a plus if recent college graduates and poorer people in general could get by without having a car, but I'll be the first to say that cars are great and irreplaceable.

14. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

-All

This reminds me of some irony I witnessed in Seattle two nights ago.

A Segway HT chained up at the door of a 24 hour fitness center.

Think about that.

15. Dros macrumors 6502

Me too. But that is because high income people don't want to live near working class people, so they build suburbs designed for a single slice of economic classes, then put a mall near those suburbs, but the people that work at the mall can't aford to live nearby so everyone ends up commuting.

I am able to walk to work (20 minutes). And walk to stores. I am thankful every day, because my life feels so much better than it did when I spent too much of my life in traffic. Here in the Northwest, the ostensible design mantra in many cities is nodal development, where they try to make strip malls include housing options for low income workers, reduce lot size of houses so a neighborhood can support a few places to eat and a supermarket, and create internode public transportation. Where it works, it is great. But it is hard to do. But it corrects so many inefficiencies that I hope it will catch on.