Healthy way to imbibe....

Discussion in 'Community' started by YS2003, Jul 24, 2005.

1. YS2003 macrumors 68020

YS2003

Unofficially, some medical studies show a few drinks a day (I am referring to alocohol such as beer and wine) have posistive effects on your health (better blood flow, increased "good" cholestrol, antioxidant to fight cancers, and etc). I am wondering if other forum members believe those studies. I do to some extent as my blood test proved I am within specs to be healthy (but, again, I don't eat fatty food, sweets, and refined carbohydrate). Does any member practice this a-few-drinks-a-day regimen?

2. idea_hamster macrumors 65816

idea_hamster

First, I don't think that anyone recommends "a few" drinks a day. I think that what the studies have suggested is that there may be some benefit to drinking one glass of red wine per day.

As I recall, white wine and beer did not give any health benefits. Also, for those drinking more than one glass of red wine per day, the net health benefit was negative, i.e., the harm of increased alcohol intake outweighted the benefits of the other red wine ingredients.

The benefits seem to come from the grape skins that have some sort of anti-oxidant properties. Anti-oxidants help reduce the amount of "free radicals" in your body, chemicals that can react with (I think) your DNA during cell replication. But I don't think that anyone has found that alcohol itself has any particular benefit.

As for me, I don't drink often, but I don't rule it out. It the occation presents itself, so be it. (Oh, and that includes stocking in a six-pack or two every now and then :D )

3. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I believe that there are plenty of studies showing the positive of a few drinks a day. It is mainly red wine that has the antioxidant effect. I personally don't drink, just can't stand the taste of alcohol. So I try to eat healthy. My wife like wine and so she tries to drink it for medicinal purposes. It is very important to not just start drinking for this reason. There are still side effect. For some it can lead to alcoholism

4. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    I believe in the 'everything in moderation' approach since you can argue that virtally everything can be 'good' or 'bad' for you. And by the time I get through my 2 litres of water, 5 fruit and vegetables, glass of red wine, dark chocolate, milk et al, I wouldn't have room to eat my dinner! ;)

I do drink red wine but not for 'health' reasons. I have a glass or two if I'm having a meal which would go well with it and I feel like a glass. Although I'm equally likely to have white wine or beer, and even more likely to just be drinking water with my meal.

5. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I don't know about you, but I'm sure I read that both one glass of red wine a day, and a beer a day, are both good for you.

6. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

I prefer white wine. Red wine tastes and smells like stanky bloody meat.

7. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

some studies suggest drinking a shot of grape juice daily will give you the same benefits of a glass of wine... but with "a few" glasses, it sounds like you're looking for an excuse for it. A few a day is not a healthy habit, period. Granted I've known people that functioned perfectly fine, and I'm not calling you an alcoholic here, but it's not good for your body to drink multiple servings a day. A healthier way would be a few on weekends, and a glass a day if you must...

8. Veldek macrumors 68000

Veldek

Well, I think what they say is that there are some positive things about drinking a glass of red wine, e.g. lessen the risk of cardiac diseases. But that doesn't mean that the negative things about drinking alcohol cannot be even worse.

9. wPod macrumors 68000

wPod

ive heard one glass of red wine is good. i have also heard on dark beer is good. none of the lite beer crap, there is just nothing there. i have also heard that dark chocolate is good. at this stage in my life (ie college) i often consume at laest one drink a day. (though either beer or liqour, i dont drink much wine) and i can tell you from personal experience that it doesnt do much good for you. with beer, even just one beer a day i deffinitly noticed a beer belly starting. so now im in the gym every day and have mostly gotten rid of the beer belly and i have switched to hard alcohol. though in the summer when all the friends are gone its more of an every weekend thing and not a daily event. but im sure once school starts back this fall it will be a more frequent occurance! and i am most sure my liver will be very unhappy with me in the future!