Hearing an odd noise and computer gets really slow

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by elbirth, Oct 8, 2006.

1. elbirth macrumors 65816

I've only recently began noticing this, less than a week or so. I have a 15" MacBook Pro that has been sent in twice already, with the logic board replaced, heatsink and fin stack twice, and even a power inverter in the LCD that stopped my screen from buzzing when the brightness is turned down.

Anyway, it's currently my primary computer and it stays on pretty much 24/7 with a solid 9 hours of usage each day for work, plus more for leisure. Recently after it's been on for 3-4 days without a reboot, it starts getting really sluggish. As I scroll my mouse across the dock, the magnifications are choppy, applications take abnormally long to start, and even envoking Quicksilver is sluggish. I've looked in Activity Monitor and both CPU and RAM usage are normal. I can't figure out what's going on... it gets really to the point where the computer is extremely painful to use and is only "cured" by a restart.

Additionally, since last night I've noticed an odd sound when I bring it out of sleep... and just now when I shutdown and restarted from the issue above (I normally reboot, but decided to mix things up one time). When I bring it out of sleep and right after the boot chime on bootup, I hear a short sound- the best I can describe it is that it sounds kind of like what you'd hear if you shook a maraca a single time. Or maybe someone taking a step in a pile of leaves almost- very short, and not very loud.
    Has anyone heard this before or know what it could be? I haven't installed any new applications in over a week or more, so I don't *think* it's from a program running (especially since I heard it even before the OS had booted).

Finally (and this is something I just thought I'd toss out there, but I'm going to call Apple yet again)... my screen sometimes begins flickering and acts almost like when a VCR (does anyone remember those now?) gets off tracking and the image plays, but a copy of it scrolls the screen. I took a short video with my camera to show what I mean:
    http://heycubed.net/stuff/MVI_0404.AVI

2. motulist macrumors 68040

motulist

Sounds like you just have a bad computer. If it's under warrantee, call Apple and demand a replacement instead of a repair.