Hearing sound input on G5 on speakers

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Xenious, Aug 9, 2004.

1. Xenious macrumors 6502a

Ok I have a line level input source going into my G5's line in. I can see the input level is fairly high, but i can't hear it on my sound output. On Windows there is a mute/un-mute button to be able to hear the audio. Is there anything similar? I realize this probably isn't normal, but I have audio coming in from another computer that I want to be able to hear through my G5's speakers...thanks for any help.
    -jim

2. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

Go into the Audio Midi Setup app (/Applications/Utilities). At the bottom left corner you will see some check boxes listed under the title "Thru." Those are what you're looking for.

3. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Truly one of the least intuitive aspects of a generally intuitive GUI!

Attached Files:

4. Xenious thread starter macrumors 6502a

Any clue why they would be grey'd out and unselectable? I did find another app to help called "Linein" -http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/11333 which is a software passthru

5. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Unlike my snapshot, make sure you select "Properties for: Built-in Audio". That seems to activate them. Best of luck. It's a very unintuitive utility.

6. LeeTom macrumors 68000

LeeTom

Make sure in the "Properties For..." you've selected Built-in Audio.

Lee Tom

7. Xenious thread starter macrumors 6502a

I have, but both mute and thru are still grey'd out. Does it depend on a MIDI device existing? (right now I have none configured)

8. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

It shouldn't. I don't have any MIDI devices. I also have nothing in line-in right now, else I'd test for you.

9. Xenious thread starter macrumors 6502a

But can you even select the check boxes. That's what isn't working for me. I can select Mute for Audio out (master channel only) and move the 1 and 2 sliders for both audio in and audio out. I can set the source and format as well. Master stream sliders and the master stream drop down list are un selectable. Configure Speakers is also grayed out. Mute and Thru are all un-checkable for all three under input.

10. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I have no idea. Frustrating! Try bumping this thread tomorrow - I'm sure what you want is easy to do, but I cannot figure it out! Too tired... going to bed....

11. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I tried poking around in Audio MIDI setup too - and also had no luck. Surely someone has an idea?

12. Xenious thread starter macrumors 6502a

At least I have a software passthru solution (Inline), but I'd like to know why passthru seems to be disabled on the built-in interface.
    -jim