Heartening article.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Taft, Jun 12, 2004.

1. Taft macrumors 65816

Taft

Just when I get totally cynical about politics and think everyone in the world is being pushed into "camps" which are totally at odds with each other, along comes this article:

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/06/13/weekinreview/13tier.html?hp

It describes how, while it appears that America is becoming more divided than every, that is really an illusion pushed by extremists within the two major parties. Rather than becoming more divided, many scholars say Americans agree on more issues than ever.

Gives me hope. Maybe a uniter in the Oval Office isn't such a pipe dream, after all. Then again, maybe I'd believe this article more if a man like McCain would get nominated over a man like G.W.

Taft

2. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

3. screener macrumors newbie

Registration is free, subscription for archived articles.

4. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

5. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Registration's free, plus there's a daily email of headlines linked to articles.

"Further evidence of a truce comes from Paul DiMaggio, a sociologist at Princeton, and colleagues who have studied attitudes toward a wide range of issues like race, crime, the role of women and the welfare state. They looked at various demographic divisions - by race, age, sex, education, religious denomination, region - and found that gaps among groups have been constant or shrinking for the past three decades.

"The two big surprises in our research," Professor DiMaggio said, "were the increasing agreement between churchgoing evangelicals and mainline Protestants, even on abortion, and the lack of increasing polarization between African-Americans and whites. Evangelicals have become less doctrinaire and more liberal on issues like gender roles. African-Americans are showing more diversity in straying from the liberal line on issues like government programs that assist minorities."

Alan Wolfe, a political scientist at Boston College, reached similar conclusions in his 1998 book, "One Nation, After All," which called the culture war largely a product of intellectuals."

The NeoCons aren't representative of conservatives in general. The national liberal-elite types don't represent the mainstream of just-liberal-folks. The polarization out at the ends has been increasing since the beginnings of LBJ's Great Society. On the Web, Democratic Underground is merely the wild-eyed left's equivalent of the Christian Identity...

'Rat

6. screener macrumors newbie

You're paranoid? They just want to know who their readership is?, for ads maybe? It's not like they ask for your addrress, etc.
    Click on the I ain't interested in you sending me any crap button, I don't get anything.

7. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

Who me??? :eek:

No, just tired of getting stuff in my box.

8. Taft thread starter macrumors 65816

Taft

I am paranoid, as well. Though I do trust the NYTimes with my info.

Anyway, for the truely paranoid. If you'd like to view any NYTimes article for free:

1. Go to news.google.com
    2. In the search box, type 'site:nytimes.com' followed by...
    3. ... some keywords from the artcle you want to search for.
    4. Hit search.
    5. Locate the article in the search results.
    6. Each article in the search results has multiple links. Find the link that ends with 'partner=GOOGLE'
    7. Click on that link.

For example, to find this article, go to news.google.com and search for 'site:nytimes.com "A Nation Divided? Who Says?"'.

There are also sites which will convert a register-only NYTimes URL into a free URL. I couldn't find them on a quick google search, though.

Enjoy!

Taft

9. Taft thread starter macrumors 65816

Taft

10. wwworry macrumors regular

they don't send you any emails unless you ask for them. I have been registered for years without a problem. Besides that the newstand price is $1.00 so you really are getting a good deal.