'Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft' for iPad Now Available Worldwide

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Apr 16, 2014.

1. macrumors bot

Apr 12, 2001

Blizzard Entertainment's digital card trading game Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft for iPad is now available for download worldwide after soft-launching in Australia, Canada, and New Zealand in early April. The game initially launched for the Mac in March.

The free-to-play collectible card game is set in the Warcraft universe, allowing players to compete with Magic the Gathering-style decks in one-on-one fights via Battle.net or against the computer. The iPad version of the game is able to connect to a Battle.net account, syncing with the PC/Mac version.

Our sister site Touch Arcade has given Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft a five star review, calling the game "a ton of fun" and "super easy to pick up."
    Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft is also available for the Mac after launching in March and Blizzard has plans to bring it to the iPhone as well, later in the year.

Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft for the iPad can be downloaded from the App Store for free. [Direct Link]

Article Link: 'Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft' for iPad Now Available Worldwide
  2. macrumors 6502

Sep 15, 2009
  3. macrumors member

Apr 25, 2010
    Can't find it on the Belgian store yet.. Might actually start playing it again when it's available on the iPad (and eventually iPhone). :)
  4. macrumors regular

Aug 1, 2011
    Fixed that for you.
  5. macrumors newbie

Mar 18, 2014
    Not in Finland yet, either! :( I literally just jumped up from my chair and went to pick up my iPad when the notification about this article popped onto my screen lol.
  6. macrumors member

Oct 8, 2012
    Arkansas, USA
  7. 3bs
    macrumors 603

May 20, 2011
    Dublin, Ireland
  8. macrumors regular

Dec 12, 2009
    It wasn't able to find it when I searched in App Store but when using the direct link in the article it worked.
  9. macrumors newbie

May 11, 2009
  10. macrumors 65816

Apr 5, 2012
    Phaselocking Psychos somewhere on Pandora
    Well, there goes my night. Hell, who am I kidding. There goes all my free time! :)
  11. macrumors regular

Jun 17, 2003
    Yes it is. Click on the "Direct Link" at the bottom of the article.
  12. macrumors 6502

Oct 12, 2009
  13. macrumors 601

Jan 6, 2004
    Western US
    And just when I finished my taxes and figured I could get back to work. Damn you, Blizzard.
  14. Xenomorph, Apr 16, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2014

macrumors 65816

Aug 6, 2008
    St. Louis
    From the notes in the App Store:

"iPad 2 or better"

I'm loading it on my iPad 2 right now, so I'll find out in a bit! ^___^

Edit: so far, so good. It loaded right up.

Double-edit: loads are a bit slow (only 512MB RAM), and animation is a bit choppy during loads, but all animations are buttery smooth once things get loaded.
  15. macrumors 65816

Aug 30, 2009
    OMG!!! I'm so happy now. Loved this game, but didn't want to sit behind mac to play it
  16. macrumors 6502

Apr 6, 2012
    Likewise. Very eager to play this on my iPad!
  17. macrumors 6502

Nov 14, 2007
    Quite laggy all the time on my iPad 2, but it's bearable. Got a crash due to low memory though (not too surprised about that…) and you have to be careful that you don't accidentaly press the lock button on the iPad 2, because your current game round probably won't be remembered when unlock and go back into Hearthstone. :(
  18. macrumors 6502a

May 31, 2007
    The Garden State
    I'm a huge Blizzard fan, but not really a fan of these types of card games. Despite that, I got in the beta on the Mac/PC version and really liked it. Like others here, I really wanted to play this on the couch or in bed and not sitting in front of the computer.

This version is very well done and it was made for a touch screen.

It's definitely the best iPad game of 2014 and one of the best iPad games ever.

I guess my only gripe is you need to be online to play, no playing on a plane or places without wifi/cell service.
  19. macrumors regular

Sep 16, 2013
    Hong Kong
    I'm genuinely curious how the **** did Blizzard manage to get that special black border + picture on the App Store when you click on the app?

I've never seen any app that has that except for Apple's own apps. Even apps like Microsoft Word or Twitter didn't have that.

Seriously, that made me click the Free button just to try it out.
  20. macrumors regular

Oct 25, 2011
    This game is the nuts! If you played WoW and either already enjoy card games or have been wanting to try them, this game is it. It does seem like a perfect fit for the iPad.

Damn you Blizzard, you know I have no will power! As if I didn't already waste enough times in CoC... my productivity is doomed... DOOMED!!1!1!
  21. macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

Oct 31, 2009
    Near Dallas, Texas, USA
    Heck, I played this ALL LAST NIGHT. :eek: I wasn't really feeling it to begin with with all the cheesy dialogue, but as soon as I got into the third round, I was hooked.

Plays beautifully on my iPad Mini.
  22. macrumors 601

Jan 6, 2004
    Western US
    Runs well on the iPad Air, although it does have some occasional stutter, mostly in-between modules (game, cards, etc.). Although, I get the same thing running it on the MacBook Air. The in-game performance is fine. I suspect there is still quite a bit of optimization they can do for the iPad's CPU/GPU capabilities.

One thing I don't like is in the deck-building module, if you tap on a card that's already in a deck (on the right), it shows the card but then if you move your finger at all, it cancels the card preview and changes to dragging the thumbnail of the thin card strip. So it's hard to look at your cards unless you're really careful. I think they should increase the movement tolerance before it changes to the drag operation. Likewise, you have to be careful when previewing a hero ability in the game, as some are triggered with a tap.

I also find the player's cards (in game) to be a little small and too far at the bottom of the screen, I would prefer they were a little more prominent, but that's a nitpick. I would like to see a greater variety of emote text (maybe with hero animations).

Overall it is excellent and IMO a more fun and convenient way to play the game compared tot he computer. Something like World of Warcraft would be a huge challenge, maybe impossible on a tablet, but this game was made for tablets. No idea how they are going to make it work on an iPhone though, they are going to have to do some serious UI reconfiguration.
  23. macrumors regular

Apr 1, 2011
    Great game, but I've been doing horribly lately. I can't win online or even against the computer.