Heat crack on Macbook ??

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Katharine, Sep 25, 2006.

1. Katharine macrumors member

Katharine

I turned my MacBook over today and there is a small (1/2 inch) crack right above the battery. In the middle of the crack there seems like there is a raised bump. Has anyone else experienced this or heard about it? I haven't dropped it and I'm afraid when I call Apple they will think I did something to cause this.

2. extraextra macrumors 68000

extraextra

I believe someone else reported this problem, let me see if I can find the thread and you can then see if your problem is similar.

Here is one thread. I can't find the other one, but it was where some guy (or girl) had some sort of bubble with cracks all over (on the bezel?). I wish I had paid more attention, hopefully someone knows what I'm talking about and can help.

3. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

i would turn it off and get it to an Apple store immediately. that sounds like one of the problems people were having before the battery recall.

4. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

You must place the MacBook in an explosion proof container and get to the nearest Apple Store promptly. :eek:

5. generik macrumors 601

generik

Probably overheating, the plastic expands a little and cracks inside :eek:

6. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Pictures? Not that we don't believe you....I'm just curious to see how bad it is.

7. Katharine thread starter macrumors member

Katharine

I've tried several times to get pictures but they just don't come out. It is just one small crack. There is no apple store within 2 hours of me so I am calling apple support now. Thanks for the help.

8. Sam0r macrumors regular

If your camera supports macro mode, use that. It will allow the camera to focus on much closer objects so you can capture the crack.

9. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Oh well on the pictures. AppleCare should fix it- if they don't then ask to speak to someone higher up until they agree to fix/replace it.

10. Katharine thread starter macrumors member

Katharine

I tried on the macro setting and it still is blurry and not visible at all. I called support and they are sending a box. I also have to have the top casing replaced because it is going yellow. The guy on the phone spoke to me like I was an idiot though. I mentioned there was a bubble and he said "well there are these 4 rubber feet on the bottom. Could that be what it is?" Um no. I can tell the difference between a crack and small bubble and the rubber grip feet. :rolleyes: Anyway I will have a box tomorrow to send my laptop in again :(

edit for spelling

11. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Re: Heat crack on Macbook ??

Don't think you'd get enough heat for taking the crack to the vapor point using a MacBook -- might want to try a pipe and flame.

Of course I could be wrong and the MacBook is getting hot enough to heat your crack.

12. n8236 macrumors 65816