Heat from LaCie (Porsche) Drives?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by pulsewidth947, Apr 9, 2005.

1. pulsewidth947 macrumors 65816

pulsewidth947

I'm looking at getting a 250GB LaCie F.A. Porsche drive, but I've read a couple of reviews that say it kicks out quite a lot of heat.

Any body own one and could clarify this for me? Is it excessive heat? Does anyone recommend any other LaCie drives?

I basically want around 200-250GB, firewire, non-bus powered (too expensive).

2. danbalsh macrumors regular

I've got the 250Gb version of that drive, it gets warm but not overly hot... can be quite noisy in big operations though.

3. combatcolin macrumors 68020

combatcolin

My 500GB :eek: Triple interface gets quite warm to the touch as it has a quality metal finish.

Warms my hand up as my heating is down again!

4. Finiksa macrumors 6502a

Finiksa

I have this same drive but the USB version. I'd say it does kick out an excessive amount of heat. The cooling vents are located on the underside of the drive, I don't see how this can offer adequate ventilation.

In the past month I've had the file system become corrupt twice and had to do a complete reformat on both occassions. I suspect this may be a result of the drive becoming extremely hot. Though I may simply have a defective unit and this may not be typical of the Porsche range I wouldn't recommend them to anyone.

Also, the drive is very noisy, more so than any other drive I've used. The case is also plastic (except for the end pieces). From the product photos I'd seen before receiving it I assumed it was brushed aluminium. It's a gorgeous looking drive but I don't think it's a very well designed product.

5. pulsewidth947 thread starter macrumors 65816

pulsewidth947

Thanks for that info Finiksa. I might just cut my losses and buy an enclosure and a parallel ata drive :)