Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KingArthur

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 15, 2001
Marion, Ohio
I am just wondering about any of you laptop users who do distributed computing:
I currently use a Windows based laptop with a P4. I have run Seti@home on it and UD Agent (both of which are distributed computing programs designed to utilize the idle time of the processor, as all of you probably know). I have found that while running a distributed computing application, my laptop runs at least at 140 degrees topping out at 155 degrees, yet when I disable it, my laptop runs at about 124 degrees. That is up to a 30 degree increase! I am just wondering if any of you other laptop users have this problem or whether it is just more proof of how ****ty the PC is;). It just really sucks when the fan is on full tilt all the time and the laptop is still too hot for your lap unless you have thick pants on, and then you sweat like crazy! I am thinking of just keeping Seti@home disabled from now on b/c I don't want to burn out the processor or any other component of the computer for that matter.

Stelliform

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2002
I run folding on my TiBook and it does get quite hot. Here are my observations of Folding vs. no folding. (Folding is my distributed computing program of choice.)

1. Laptop gets pretty darn hot when folding and the fan stays on
2. If I am on battery, the battery life is cut in half when I am folding
3. There is no difference in performance whether I am running it or not.

I am not too worried about burning out the processor or fan. I have a warrenty, and they cannot void your warrenty based on what software you run. :D

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
Well obviuosly if your processor is running full speed ahead then there is gonna be less battery life...
Because Folding get the idle amount of processor to be used it uses the remainder.

Some laptops get hot and such because of the use of the processor to its max.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.