Heat Sensor Effect :: How is this done?

Discussion in 'Design and Graphics' started by ShakeWellProd, Sep 20, 2008.

1. macrumors member

I'm looking for a way to create the heat sensor effect. The ones they use in Spy movies etc. Is there a plugin for this? I have a shot of the killer walking in while the protagonist has special "heat sensory" skills.

2. macrumors 6502a

Photo Booth actually has a Heat Sensor effect. Not sure if it's good enough for video, tho.

3. macrumors 6502

4. thread starter macrumors member

Infa Red

No not Infrared. Doesn't that have the greenish look to it like the Paris Hilton video?

I want the effect sort like in the link above, but the bodies turn red for video not photo's

5. macrumors 65816

design-is

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

Dont you have to shoot it with a heat sensitive camera or put a lot of post production work in? Not sure a quick fix exists...

Might have more luck in the digital video forum?

6. macrumors newbie

I don't think he's looking for ACTUAL sensitivity/measurement of temperature, just that look of bright primary colors.

7. macrumors 65816

design-is

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

surely that would be the easiest way to get the best effect though... Probably quite expencive though, I'll give you that :)

I don't know how to personally, but I still recomend asking in the digital video forum.

8. macrumors 6502a

Anything like this?
    Done in P/shop.
    Image> adjustments> posterise - set to say 8 colours.
    Then use the magic wand tool, along with Select> Similar to select blocks of colour, followed by Image> Adjustments> Hue and Saturation. (Additionally, you can save as a gif, cutting the number of colours down from the standard 256 - but I'm not sure about this last step).
    I'm afraid I have no idea how you would do this in say FCP or Premiere, but you don't say whether you're working on a still or a movie.

Attached Files:

9. macrumors 65816

design-is

10. thread starter macrumors member

Thanks

Thanks for all your links and help.

The link above doesn't work thou. Oh well. Sounds like a cool plugin for someone to create in the future.

11. macrumors 65816

design-is

Sorry about that, its all I could find after a load of googling :rolleyes:

12. thread starter macrumors member

No worries, I commend you for your aggressive battle at Googleland!