HEAT

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by waynepixel, Mar 22, 2004.

1. waynepixel macrumors regular

I have just upgraded my G4 sawtooth 350Mhz with a new Sonnet Encore™/ST G4 1Ghz card and it been working great.

The problem I seem to be having for the past couple of days is OSX 10.3 keeps freezing up on me and all I can do too get the OS to respond is hard reboot. I did some asking around and it seem that this happens allot when the CPU get too HOT.

It a bit odd that Sonnet do not supply a new heat sink to cope with the extra Heat. I am still using the same heat sink which come with my G4. According to Sonnet information they say that it will work fine with the new CPU.

Does anyone here now how too stop the heat build-up with the new processor form freezing my G4.

Any ideas are welcome.

2. javabear90 macrumors 6502a

javabear90

if you can blow the dust out of there that will help... I dunno if you could put a PC fan in there but.... you never no.

3. crazytom macrumors 6502a

crazytom

It could be poor contact between the processor and the heat sink: do you have any thermal compound? between the cpu and the heatsink?

If I remember correctly, the PCI slots are on the bottom of that machine, so a slot fan wouldn't do much good.

You could replace the CPU fan with something that gives a little more airflow. I have the Panaflo M1A in my Dual MDD.

But first, as javabear suggested: blow all the dust out of there!!!!

4. Sparky's macrumors 6502a

Sparky's

I have a Sonnet G4-500 in my G3 B&W at home and haven't ever experienced a freeze (due to heat). I keep my G3 (sorry G4) on my computer table next to the monitor and do make sure it is not blocked by anything as far as air circulation is concerned. I also use an anti-static air spray to blow the dust out every few months.