Heated Driveway????

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by SamIchi, Feb 14, 2007.

1. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

Since there's this big storm over here, I was wonderin' about better ways to deal with the snow. Me and my friend were thinkin, why not just heat the driveway. I Googled it and came up with plenty of result... So I'm wonderin' why don't more people have it? Is it really expensive? Anyone on MR have it? Shovelin' ain't that bad, atleast I get some needed exercise in the slow winter days.

2. ezzie macrumors 68020

ezzie

it's expensive and unnecessary, that's all. :eek:

this morning, i went outside to shovel my driveway, which is just long enough to fit my civic and my husband's fit. it's the same length as all the other driveways on our street. the first thing i noticed is that all the neighbors were outside with their snowblowers.

i said to my husband that we needed to get a heated driveway just to out-do everyone else. ;)

3. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Much cheaper to pay the local snot to shovel snow than thousands trying to heat a driveway.

4. apple1984 macrumors member

apple1984

The weather is terrible here in Ohio. But I think the reason more people don't do it is because it would only be cost effective if you're building a new custom house/driveway. I think it would be pretty expensive and frustrating to bring in contractors, have your old driveway torn out, and then have the new one installed. It would probably take at least a week, and you wouldn't have use of your driveway. Besides, most people would rather shovel than pay the prohibitive expense.

5. MultiM macrumors 6502

MultiM

I agree. I would rather spend 15 minutes getting some cardio (the only exercise I get right now) at 6 in the morning than spend thousands on a heated driveway. Maybe in my next life as a pampered rich guy....:D

6. Apemanblues macrumors regular

Apemanblues

I'm starting to realise two things

1. Why so many people are vastly overweight
    2. Why the climates changing

7. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

what can you tell me about #1?

8. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

I don't know why anyone would say that. According to the folks at about.com (the only place that I saw that would provide an estimate without me inputting contact info), it would run about $10-15/sq ft. A simple 20x10 in upstate NY would be well worth the $2000, and would probably increase the selling price by more than that.

9. Apemanblues macrumors regular

Apemanblues

Maybe the amount of snow shovelling activity is not directly proportional to the shovelling of burgers into mouths. Hence, increased cases of fatassitus.

10. Dunepilot macrumors 6502a

Dunepilot

How can anyone honestly consider this to be sensible. A ridiculous waste of energy!

11. j26 macrumors 65832

j26

:D :D :D Post of the week. I needed a good laugh. Thanks.

12. kildraik macrumors 6502a

kildraik

OMG. This is so funny because I was thinking about this when I woke up this morning.

A friend of mine, when I lived in Alaska, had a heated driveway. I had pipes of hot water underneath the concrete, and was able to heat the concrete to temps. of 150 plus. They invested almost $400,000 into it. :eek:

It was actually very efficient, because it circualted recycled the water throughout the house from their heated floors. The cost to heat it were surprisingly low, also.

Will

13. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

While the constructions costs for a new place might be reasonable - in the end, all you're doing is running either tubing or electrical heating elements under the cement/asphalt - there are a few other things that come to mind:

(1) Heating costs will be insane in some places. When I lived in Syracuse, we got ~200" of snow several of the years I was there, and I wasn't there all that long. The cost to melt that much snow (i.e., to keep the driveway warm enough as that much fell) would be quite large. And that's assuming you only had it heated as it was snowing, and no other liquid (melt that refroze) got onto it. And that's every year (some years get less snow, but a year with less than 100" of snow in Syracuse is exceptional).

(2) If it's liquid-based and breaks (tree roots, etc) you have to dig up the whole thing.

(3) If it's electrically-based and breaks, likewise, since you probably won't know where the break is.

(4) Plowing costs less than $200/year, often much less, in most places.

(5) Even if you had that driveway, plows push tons of it onto the ends of your driveway.

14. ezzie macrumors 68020

ezzie

maybe so, but get a real estimate (including installation, etc.) and then we'll talk.

IMHO, it's a frivolous thing. your idea of worth is obviously different than mine. i wouldn't want to pay for the installation and materials, and then the electricity/whateverelse it would take to actually use the system. i'd rather buy a $15 shovel and do it myself, whether it's 6 inches of snow or several feet. :rolleyes:

15. ErikCLDR macrumors 68000

My neighbors have one. It cost a fortune to put it in and it costs a lot to run so they never use it. They put it in because they have a pretty steep driveway. They're using it right now though.

16. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

This brings up a good point, if you can afford to have it installed, which is that occasional use, particularly during freezing rain, to remove the last bits of snow, etc., might be worthwhile, but that full-time use is impractical.

17. topgunn macrumors 65816

topgunn

Concrete is like a rock. Rocks break when they go through repeated freeze thaw cycles.

When you heat your driveway, the snow melts (I know, no surprise) and the water now flows into all the cracks and pores in the concrete. You are happy because you didn't have to shovel the driveway and you happily proceed to work. Unless you heat your driveway ALL the time which would be a HUGE waste of energy, the water that seeped into your driveway will quickly refreeze all while expanding. Your driveway will go from having a useable life of 15-25 years to probably about 5.

18. ezzie macrumors 68020

ezzie

another very good point. :)

it's like cost on top of cost on top of cost, all for a little convenience.

19. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

I'd like a deicing chemical spray for my driveway. It's gravel which makes it difficult to shovel. Usually I have to shovel off the lose snow then spread salt over it. I'd like a system that I can switch on and have it periodically spray some deicer over the gravel to keep snow from accumulating (idea being it would melt when it hit the driveway and the water would run off). Not sure what chemical would be OK to use like that, though. I suppose a salty water solution would be safe for the local wildlife and at least not super destructive for plants (and I don't want plants growing in my driveway anyways) but would be bad for any kind of plumbing/sprayer system that delivered it.

I agree though that a heated driveway seems like a terrible waste of energy. There are lots of people who can't afford to heat their house properly due to high costs, and wasting energy like that only drives up the prices for everyone else.

Bah. I hate snow.

20. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

I solved the driveway shovling vs heated driveway issue by moving to Los Angeles

21. McGarvels macrumors 6502

McGarvels

AGREED!!! Gotta love Southern California weather. Especially in Orange County!

P.S. There was no blizzard in Malibu like all the reports said a couple weeks back, they were misinformed.

22. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

But that is just taking the easy way out. :p ;) :D

23. panoz7 macrumors 6502a

panoz7

Ha... that's what my dad did. He grew up in NY and went to grad school in california. Then he moved to Minnesota though... so I guess he kind of missed it. Anyway, he had a heated driveway growing up. It does seem to be a tremendous waste of energy, however their driveway did become the only place you could consistently play basketball in the neighborhood during the winter.

On a side note, one of my neighbors heats their house using geothermal heat. I'm not exactly sure how it works but I know it involves pumping hot water through the concrete floors. Their entire house is powered off of two large solar panels, so I'd imagine this to be pretty energy efficient... and it sure is nice to able to walk around on warm floors during the winter.

24. Superdrive macrumors 6502a

Superdrive

25. ®îçhå®? macrumors 68000

®îçhå®?

Huge waste of energy. Just do the labour and shovel it. Save the planet