Heavily Anticipated 'Halo 2' Not Coming in 2003

Discussion in 'Games' started by medea, Mar 9, 2003.

1. medea macrumors 68030

Aug 4, 2002
    Madison, Wi
    The sequel to "Halo," the most successful game yet for Microsoft Corp.'s Xbox game console, will not come out this year despite speculation to the contrary, the game's developer said on its Web site.
    Developers Bungie Studios said "Halo 2" would not be released this year, due to the time constraints of producing the game while also doing versions of the original "Halo" for the PC and Macintosh, according to a note posted Friday on the site.

"We're still not ready to pick a specific release date, but we do want to state for the record that Halo 2 will not ship in 2003," the note said. "This game is a vast undertaking, considerably more complex than any of our previous efforts, and there is just no way to squeeze all of the necessary work into this calendar year."
    The original "Halo" came out with the launch of the Xbox in November 2001, and the military action game, featuring the "Master Chief," quickly became the console's marquee title.
    When Microsoft announced a sequel last year, most in the industry assumed it would be out in time for the 2003 holiday season.
    Bungie did say it would show some of "Halo 2" at E3, the video game industry's main trade show, this May in Los Angeles.
  2. Stelliform macrumors 68000

Oct 21, 2002
    Doesn't bode well for the ailing X-Box. (although it isn't going anywhere. M$ can throw money at it for a hundred years)
  3. iJon macrumors 604

Feb 7, 2002
    well considering they have the most powerful machine so far and are making tons of money with xbox live i think xbox is here to stay.

4. DreaminDirector macrumors 6502a

Sep 3, 2002
    Ladera Ranch, CA
    here to stay...

I agree with iJon. Even though the PS2 has a ton of games (I own both PS2 and Xbox), I think that the Xbox hasn't found it full potential yet. Halo was just a start.

I'm no fanboy. I love both my PS2 and Xbox. But man, if developers started putting out some really great titles for xbox (not that they haven't yet), I would say it could give PS2 a run for it's money.
  5. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Nov 1, 2001
    Re: Heavily Anticipated 'Halo 2' Not Coming in 2003

Forget about Halo2 - at least this means that we might see the original Halo out for the Mac this year. I still haven't played the game, but ever since Bungie started development (before they were bought out be MS) I've been wanting it......

D :D
  6. Flickta macrumors 6502

Nov 20, 2002
    Born in USSR
    It would be great. waiting for 5 years to get the game. heh. Let them make it a decade then...
    Still, I'm glad it finally comes. I'll buy it.
  7. Das macrumors regular

Jan 28, 2003
    I'll be selling my Xbox in a week or two although not in part of Bungie who I respect for taking thier time with the Halo franchise. Most of the games coming to the box are coming to the PC and my PC is a lot more powerful than the Xbox. It sucks too; all the Xbox gets these days are poor ports from other systems and shallow gameplay (although Orta was 10 hours of fun while it lasted). Live may be the next big thing (once more developers other than MS actually use it), but any Mac/PC/Dreamcast gamer has literally been there and done that and we don't have to pay a monthly charge. This is going to be a hard time for the Xbox and MS has to score some big exclusive hits soon, because this might just be the year that makes the Xbox 2 vaporware or not. Speaking of Rare, where the frick are they?

Now, bring on Halo for the PC and Mac!
  8. Jaykay macrumors 6502a

Dec 1, 2002
    Now theres a company i want to see games coming from (come on goldeneye 2 - and no perfect dark was not it).....
  9. MrMacMan macrumors 604

Jul 4, 2001
    1 Block away from NYC.

We any of you expecting it this year?

hahahhahaah, you must have been kidding yourselves.
  10. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Dec 21, 2002
    Yahooville S.C.
    Just bring Halo 1 to the mac, And bungie how about dumping microsoft and return to the mac!
  11. howard macrumors 68020

Nov 18, 2002
    well i don't have an x-box...though i'm sure its a really cool game, i just hope that halo comes out for mac and that it runs...at least kinda ok on my computer...anyone know offhand the system requirements?
  12. WannabeSQ macrumors 6502

Oct 24, 2002
    I think they should make a "Halo 1.5" and make it xbox live capable. Halo already works online, with XBConnect and a computer, so it is indeed possible. Just make slight changes, and id buy it and xbox live.
  13. Jaykay macrumors 6502a

Dec 1, 2002
    I hope they have a huge online version for tha mac where prople can take part in (relatively)large campaigns mmmmmm drooooll.....