heavy metal

Discussion in 'Community' started by jefhatfield, Aug 30, 2002.

1. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

i just pulled out a shiny silver g4 dual 1 ghz ddr from the box yesterday, for a client, and i swear, the new powermac is heavy

what gives?

is there something new inside that accounts for the weight?

usually i can lift the whole box when its shipped to one of my clients, but this time i didn't even attempt it:p

2. job macrumors 68040

job

and i thought this thread had to do with korn or the deftones....

:rolleyes: :D

3. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

hmmm, the massive heatsink perhaps? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

korn makes me want to vomit

4. job macrumors 68040

job

5. Screamingbeaver macrumors member

Heavy Metal...

Dude! Korn? Deftones? Tool? Your right, to each his own. But, when you think Metal you gotsta think Anthrax, Slayer, Testament, Metallica...I could go on...There are hundreds more of true Heavy Metal Bands. This is Heavy Metal....If any of you wanna talk metal just e-me or post, I'm there....

Wierd, Heat sinks are made of Aluminum aren't they? I dunno. I alway thought that the towers are heavier than they appear they would be.

Later
    'Beaver

6. job macrumors 68040

job

Re: Heavy Metal...

yea i know.

my friends call the bands i listen to "metal." :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

and they listen to country... :rolleyes:

7. King Cobra macrumors 603

Well, hitman. It seems you're the only one here w/similar music tastes. :)

PM me for more bulls**ting. :D

Remember that design called the Quicksilver? It weighed 30 pounds (metric: about 13 kilograms). And I don't think Apple has used a 7lb heat sink before. I'd say (guessing) the new PowerMac weighs about 40 to 50 pounds.

8. job macrumors 68040

job

i might do that later... :D :D

9. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I noticed the difference as soon as I carried my dual 800 to the car. It was a big difference compared to the Powermac G3/400, which is easy to tote. Almost as easy as the Mac Portable. Anyone remember lugging that boat anchor? :D

Then again, maybe it's the extra processing power that weighs so much. 11.3 gigaflops (with the 800)...that's heavy! :)

10. whfsdude macrumors 6502a

btw if you like Slayer you will love this band called Dismember :) best metal band besides slayer :)

11. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

i sometimes have tried to listen to the post metallica (in fame) speed metal bands, but nothing does it for me like metallica

while they have the musical technique like most of the speed metal bands have, metallica have this amazing ability to write good songs year after year...like U2 or the Beatles

i find this uncanny since at some point, a long lasting band like the ones mentioned above should see some limit to their talent

elton john, neil young, michael jackson, and a small list of a few others have this staying power

both metallica and U2 are both over twenty years old without a break...amazing

rem is also another amazing long laster

some bands have amazing explosive talent but last a short time like the hendrix experience, nirvana, or hootie and the blowfish...it's like they have equal talent to the great long lasters but share their talent over a shorter period of time

the sex pistols were a major movement despite their few appearances or recordings:D

12. voyagerd macrumors 65816

voyagerd

13. vniow macrumors G4

Formulatic, soulless, emotionless garbage.

Oh well. To each their own.

14. King Cobra macrumors 603

>what do you guy's consider Static-X as?

I have all the tracks from both CDs on my computer. It's certainly extreme, probably beyond what most people would want to hear, but I can handle it. Probably "Push It" is the best fully lyrical song of all the tracks.

>(J) both metallica and U2 are both over twenty years old without a break...amazing

I think that Nickelback is going to seceed U2 in the years to come. They have such a great album out, Silver Side Up. If they can keep doing what they are doing, they have it made.

15. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

Disco Metal. :D

16. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

WHAT???:eek: Yeah right.... Nickle is never going to seceed U2. Nickleback is okay... but they will never reach the status that U2 is at. U2 has been around longer then metallica (not by much). They have hit thier supposed apex in 1987 with the "Josua Tree" only to hit another one with thier latest album "All That You Cant Leave Behind". They have re invented them selves and keep on hitting the top music charts like they are a new band etc. etc. This is very very hard to accomplish so its rare. I cant think of any other band that has done it like them. If you can then spit it out...because I would like to know. Id challenge you on it. But never should a smart man say that NickleBack is going to seceed U2 if they care about all that is right in this world. I mean come on... the biggest Nickleback is right now is a lot smaller then the smallest that U2 has been ... in terms of world wide popularity and acceptance. Come on Dawg.... get into the groove here!

:D ;)