Heavy user of After Effects etc - which machine to upgrade to?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by unregbaron, Sep 8, 2005.

1. unregbaron macrumors regular

Oct 20, 2002
    My girlfriend currently uses a G4 700Mhz Power Mac but is finding she has to do 12 hour renders. She upgraded to 2gb RAM when she bought it new and got a new Radeon card very recently but the machine seems to be grinding to a halt.

My question is what machine should she upgrade to ?

She has to visit clients and making video work onsite would be an advantage. There's a limited budget available but I have been trying to persuade her that a new 15" powerbook would be ideal (superdrive and s-video out very desirable to her)

Is a powerbook powerful enough to use after effects with?

Is she better off buying a G5 powermac and not bothering with a portable?

Any advice gratefully received !
  2. unregbaron thread starter macrumors regular

Oct 20, 2002
    is this too close to call?

3. evil_santa macrumors 6502a

Sep 23, 2003
    London, England
    I would go for a G5 fastest & as much ram as you can afford!
  4. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Aug 11, 2005
    Behind the lens
    Well AE is notorious for "ram render preview" so of course, more ram the better.

And if you are doing Digital Video, you gotta max out the machine the best you can. The only place not to skimp if money is tight is the RAM, buy the machine and upgrade the ram from another company (not apple) and then get some more HD space.

A portable is nice, but if $ is a problem, you cant just use a laptop for video work. It can do it, but its really for the times you cant work on a desktop. To bring stuff to clients, burn DVDs, or when $ permits, get a cheap powerbook, not a workhorse powerbook.
  5. unregbaron thread starter macrumors regular

Oct 20, 2002
    Thanks for the advice - guess a (hopefully refurb) DP G5 maybe the way to go....