Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

verces

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 13, 2004
I already posted something simliar, but I still don't know what to do. (Its impossible for me to just sit and do nothing)

Situation as follows.

1. Need iPod desperately (emotionally, mentally and physically)
2. Understand 60GB iPod Color rumor
3. Understand 30-60 days for possible release
4. South African Apple products ridiculously expensive.
5. South Korean Apple products marginally expensive
6. Hong Kong Apple products relatively equal to U.S. prices
7. Flying back to Korea around mid-November
8. Transit in Hong Kong
9. Understandably 15 days till departure from Johannesburg.
10. Understand that no new iPod releases for 30-60 days based on ThinkSecret rumors. Apart from Black U2
11. Not a U2 fanatic.
12.1 Need to have iPod in Seoul. (Subways etc. No Music = Staring at other people listening to their iPod = Intense and horrifying torture)
12.2 In Possession of Sony CD Walkman, but sick and tired of opening up bag to reload new CD.
13. Currently have 15GB of Music
14. Was planning on 20GB but now thinking about 40GB
15. Do not know if Apple will release 40GB iPod Color
16. Even if 60GB iPod came out, do not need that much space.
17. Will possibly be too heavy and big. The 40GB iPod isn't exactly a feather either.
18. Possible option to buy when returning from Seoul back to Cape Town, but then no iPod during holiday.
19. Even if the 60GB did come out by the time I'm on my way back, could most definitely be no 40GB Color
20. But cannot afford to spend $400 if a new product is on its way.
21. Best thing to happen, on Transit day to Hong Kong, Apple releases 40GB Color iPod, I buy, leave promptly, and arrive Seoul happy.
22. Worst case scenario- Buy 4G 40GB iPod in Hong Kong, only to find out, on around January, Apple releases 40GB Color iPod
23. Even worse case scenario- Do not buy, hold out for 60GB, Apple does not release, wait, wait, wait, and just before I leave for Cape Town, I realise, either way I must buy in Korea, buy 4G, then after about a month, Apple releases 40GB Color. $400 out da window.
24. Infatuated and obsessed with iPod and rest of Apple's products.

Hoping for more info before I go from ThinkSecret, or even better, Jobs himself.

Alas, up to you folk for the most professional, market-place, grandmother, fortune-teller, Elijah type advice.

zelmo

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2004
Mac since 7.5
Very nice post, my friend. :)

Can you get a mini in Hong Kong? If so, I'd buy one, load your favorites on it, and use it until you can make a more informed decision. The mini holds it's value pretty well, so it is easily resold for a minimal loss. Then, you have your iPod, and can retain your remaining sanity :D while waiting on Apple to unveil it's plans in the coming months.

If you can't get a mini, buy a 20GB iPod for now, and do the same thing.

:)

hotwire132002

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2004
Cadillac, MI
Didn't you hear? The new 60GB Color iPod is already out ;) :

Attachments

• iPod-Color.jpg
    iPod-Color.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 144

wPod

macrumors 68000
Aug 19, 2003
Denver, CO
take a deep breath. . . ok, now imagine what you really want out of an iPod. . . music, righ? at least thats what i use mine for. will a color iPod or 60GB iPod provide something better than music? as far as i know, NO. if you purchase a current model 20 or 40GB then you should be fine. i am still running a 1st Gen 10GB iPod. it might not look the same as the new ones, but it still plays music, just like the new ones. if you are really really conserned about having the latest and greatest (and dont care about functionality) then buy an iPod at the first chanse you get, use it for a few months (keep it in a case to keep it nice and scratch free) then when the new ones come out (at an indefinite time) sell the old one for a new one. the re-sale value of iPods are very high especially when compared to most electronics. i bet you would lose no more that $50 in such a transaction. just remeber a color screen or 20 more GB of music will not make your music sound any better!

dornoforpyros

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2004
Calgary, AB
whoo dude, you gotta chill right now man. iPods are damn cool and damn nice to have but your making it sounds like your life depends on this one little consumer gadget.
If you want one, go buy one. But you WON'T die if you don't have it.

Koodauw

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2003
Madison
iPod is for music.

Thats why your buying it. So if you want it now, buy it now. It will still play your music even when newer version come out! If you want a "special" iPod, get the U2 version. Who cares about the music, youll have a black iPod. You should get one now and enjoy it. I also recemend you get a chill pill to go with it... you stressin about this a bit to much.

verces

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 13, 2004
1. iPod mini- The problem with this, I'm spending the majority of by iPod spending budget on a very small and irritating replacement for the great iPod. As much I respect iPod mini, and those who buy it, I don't think I would ever buy such a miniature. Even if I did buy it, the problem arises with the fact that I have to have to resell it. Sell it in South Africa? Possible, but too much admin. Not much demand, obviously I won't be able to get a good deal in Korea either.

2. Ignoring the Color screen- This is debatable. Of course I want it for the music, but no one here can ignore the fact that the album art showing on the screen when you want it to, is very very......tempting

3. U2- The idea of a charred iPod is definitely not my cup of tea. All the Tom Dick Harry MP3 players are black, the much ugly Sony, iRivers...etc. The iPod is an iPod when its white

4. Whether I will die if I don't get an iPod- I will. Trust me. :p

rueyeet

macrumors 65816
Jun 10, 2003
MD
Color's tempting, but think of it this way: You're not going to spend hardly any time sitting there staring at your iPod in comparison to how much time you'll spend playing your music, because you can't look at your iPod while walking around (not without bumping into things).

Would you rather hedge on color, and potentially doom yourself to No iPod At All, or have your music with you Now?

Personally, I'd buy the 40 GB now, then trade up later if Apple comes out with a color one. And until they did (only a matter of rumor and speculation anyway) I'd have my music.

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
just a simple advice:

you can't play with a toy you don't have.

if you think a fat wallet is better than playing with an iPod the money's meant to purchase, by all means, wait around, etc. personally, i tend to research a bit, but just buy and start enjoying it instead of worrying about what's coming up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.