HEEELP!!! Mini overheating??

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by emi_roxx, Jul 21, 2005.

1. emi_roxx macrumors newbie

I took apart my mac mini yesterday to replace the hard drive with a bigger one. After an unsuccessful attempt, I replaced the original one and put it back together. Now I think it's overheating somehow. I'm pretty sure the fan is reconnected because i can hear it going LOUDER than it's ever gone before, and periodically the screen will go blank and the LED will blink once, then everything will come back. I'm not doing anything very intensive, and i CANNOT figure out what's wrong.

Any thoughts? I really don't want to burn out this computer, considering that now I'm pretty sure my warranty is probably voided due to the fact that I attempted to replace the hard drive.

Thanks for your help (I'm shutting this down for a little while).

..emi

oh, btw, my AC is on in my room so it's nice and cool in here.

2. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Well, your entire warranty shouldn't be void because you tried to replace the HDD, but if the problem was caused by your replacement, which it seems like it may be, then that incident will not be covered.

I've never looked inside the mini, but I assume that it has a heatsink on the CPU... did you look to see if you bumped that off of the processor at all? Even the slightest gam between the heatsink and the CPU will make it pretty much completely ineffective, and would cause overheating...

Good luck!

3. Rocksaurus macrumors 6502a

Rocksaurus

Also download a program/widget that tells you your CPU temperature so you can verify that it is in fact overheating.

4. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Anyone know a program that will show temps for the mini? I've tried X Resource Graph and it doesn't show any sensors available on the mini...

5. mrzeve macrumors 6502a

Just dont tell Apple =)

6. Rocksaurus macrumors 6502a

Rocksaurus

I just use Temperature Monitor on my G5, works great.

7. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

X Resource Graph worked on my G5 iMac as well, but I will try Temperature Monitor when I get home. Thanks :) The mini MUST have a temp sensor, and likely a fan sensor, as the fan scales up and down as you increase load, so it's gotta be monitoring it...

8. hkpatv macrumors newbie

I just had the same as you after upgrading my disk. If it helps, I found I had replaced the fan at the wrong angle - it was blowing the hot air out into the side of the case, not through the exhaust out the back. Needed to rotate it 90 degrees.

9. Case-sensitive macrumors member

Didn't the original G5 towers have an issue with fans going 100% after a reboot from single user mode? Pull the power cable out/turn it off at the mains and leave it for a couple of minutes and see if that helps?