Heinz family. The truth.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Neserk, Aug 28, 2004.

1. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

2. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Interesting. A couple of months ago the LA Times ran a lengthy article on the Heinz Kerry fortune, which they estimated at nearly $1 billion. I only skimmed it so I didn't realize that Teresa Heinz Kerry's holding in the HJ Heinz Corp was relatively so small. The Republican criticisms of her verge on the bizarre, but then, we have learned to expect this.

3. Neserk thread starter macrumors 6502a

Neserk

Indeed we have. I've also learned not to believe a word they say ;)

4. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

The only specifics I see about how much Kerry (or more specifically, John Kerry and Teresa Heinz Kerry) is worth is a reference to her $500 million portfolio (in the fourth paragraph) -- a relatively small part of which is tied up in Heinz Co. stock. As IJ noted, the L.A. Times has been investigating the Heinz Kerry family fortune. A lot of people would like to know "The Truth" about how much the family's worth, and we still don't know that. According to the Associated Press, the Times and one other newspaper are trying to get to the bottom of the story:

5. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I don't recall noting that at all. I'm not even sure I see the point of knowing whether the Heinz family fortune is worth $500 million or twice that amount, but if the "truth" of this is important to you, then look up the LA Times article.

6. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

You are correct; I've edited the previous post to say that you merely noted that the L.A. Times was investigating this story.

In her original post, Neserk stated that the article "... pertains to the assertions of how much money Kerry is worth." As I read it, the story doesn't have much at all to say about how much Kerry is worth. It does have a lot to say about how much the Heinz Co. has donated to the GOP, and points out that Mrs. Heinz Kerry has a relatively small stake in the Heinz Co. Although I'd love to have "only" $4 million worth of stock in that company. ;)

I did find the story (I think) in their archives, but am not willing to pay to read it at this time. I suppose, however, that if the Times succeeds in getting the Heinz estate records unsealed there will be some follow-up stories.

7. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

From what I recall by my quick reading of this article some months ago, I don't believe the Times was trying to get any records unsealed. This seems to be another effort to gin up a story were none exists.

8. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

Perhaps it had not progressed to that point in the earlier story that you saw, but according to the AP Story that I linked earlier, there are now three newspapers (including the L.A. Times) pursuing this. I see that all three of those newspapers are owned by the Tribune Company but I don't know what (if anything) that indicates. I don't think that this company falls under Rupert Murdoch's umbrella (i.e. it doesn't appear to be a part of News Corp.) but, then again, he has an awfully big umbrella. ;)

9. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Okay. I still don't understand the "intense interest," though. What do they expect to find, another billion dollars?

10. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

afaik, it does not