Helen Thomas Vows to Kill Herself if Cheney Runs for President

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by clayj, Jul 28, 2005.

1. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

From the Drudge Report:

OK, Helen, I'm now hoping that Cheney DOES run for President... not because I want you to kill yourself, and not because I'd like to see him be President (I really wouldn't), but because I know you won't kill yourself, and your quote represents the end of your credibility.

I used to like Helen Thomas, but people who make statements like this and then don't follow through (like all those celebrities who vowed to leave the US if Bush II was elected) really piss me off.

2. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

First the obvious: A person who is interested in credibility isn't going to read the Drudge Report, let alone quote it.

Second, the even more obvious: Where I come from, it's called "a figure of speech."

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Third, if I were Helen Thomas, and I wanted to act the fool as the result of Cheney becoming president, I think I would just emigrate to Canada.... *shakes head*

4. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

Sounds like she was commenting in jest. Even so, the whole world needs to know about these very important, yet comical statements :rolleyes:

Especially given that there is nothing else of any consequence happening in the world right now.

What am I thinking? I still don't know what was found in the pond that was drained in Aruba last night.

But? what if Cheney does become President and she kills herself, we should all be concerned. What if Cheney becomes President and she does not kill herself? She will be ruined!

*Sigh* When I think about it, I wonder why what Drudge reports matters in the first place? Isn't there a government agency leaking CIA identities to worry about, or an illegal and costly war to look into?

I am so glad the important matters get so much attention.

If Dick Cheney becomes President, I will dye my hair a really ugly color. Drudge Report, here I come!

5. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

Right...

6. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

You libs crack me up.

7. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

Why?

8. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i wanna know why too!

9. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

Because they are so willing to detach themselves from reality just to take a swipe at the Bush administration. Blinded by hate I suppose you might say. If you don't know, I'm not sure that I can explain it to you. Its just funny.

10. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

I'm confused, there isn't an investigation underway concerning the leak of a CIA operative?

An explanation would be helpful. Insightful too, apparently.

Also, I don't speak for "libs," so if you mean me specifically, I am just one liberal.

One more, explain how being concerned about national security equates to being hateful. Though, one could very easily be hateful of those who compromise national security couldn't one?

11. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

There is an investigation going on because the liberal press wanted it and though they could hang Karl Rove and discredit the Bush admistration. Its just the latest attempt by the liberal press to get somebody, anybody fired!!!

And over what? This non-story? Nobody cares about this because nothing happened.

And I meant that you and other libs crack me up, individually and collectively. See our website... wecan'tmoveon.org

12. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

Ok, as far as I know, Pat Fitzgerald is not a member of the liberal press.

I am also fairly certain that our individual definitions of the "liberal press" varies greatly. So, I am going to need more information about what you consider the "liberal press" to be.

Our opinions concerning whether or not this is a non-story differs as well. Personally, I think that the leaking of a CIA operative is a story, especially considering what Valerie Plame was working on.

The "non-story" investigation is important enough to render the White House in-able to comment on the ongoing investigation. So, if the White House is taking that position, I get the impression that it is, in fact, a bit more than a non-story.

Also, Rove has admitted involvement, and has been before the Grand Jury five times. If appearing before the Grand Jury means anything, it would seem that it might in fact be something important. Not to mention that this non-story was important enough to put Judith Miller in jail. Is Judith Miller apart of the "Liberal Media"? Cause a reporter going to jail over a non-story would seem to be an outrage.

I will have to frank about the fact that I do not take that site you offered seriously, because it seems to have left out all of the above mentioned items.

I am afraid I am going to need more explanation on this one. I am either still blinded and/or in need of some more insight.

13. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

LoL, ok, sorry I didn't even realize that was a real website. I just made up the url as I was typing.

I love the fact that libs now care so much about covert CIA operations now. I thought you guys hated the CIA. Oh, but now its a big deal!

She hadn't been undercover for 6 years. It turns out Rove probably heard his info from other reporters who already knew it! Oh, but we can't comment on that, its part of an ongoing investigation.

If its such an important story, how come nobody cares about it?

Except George Soros...

http://homepage.mac.com/heb1228/Rove.mp3

14. Sirus The Virus macrumors 6502a

Sirus The Virus

Anybody who kills themselves over somebody running for a public office needs to learn how to take it easy.

15. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

Lol, I didn't really check it. I am not likely to take an anti-liberal website, made up or not, objectively. If this is to be a serious discussion, I would think that some serious information would be offered.

Show me something that proves "Libs" (again, I do not fit into the plural) do not care about the CIA. Even better, show me something that even indicates that I do not think an agency such as the CIA is important to this nation.

First, I will ask for something substantiating the point the she has not been undercover for six years. Something from a credible source. And then explain the obvious contradiction, being that there is a high level investigation that is important enough for the White House not to be commenting on.

I thought the "liberal press" cared about it. The Judicial Branch obviously cares about it. I care about it, that is just me though. The White House cares enough not to comment on it. Right Wing talk radio considers it to be an issue, otherwise they would not have talked about it at all. If it doesn't matter, why is there anything at all going on right now concerning this issue. Not to mention the rather large reaction to something that apparently those are the right are not worried about.

So, George Soros is now the only person who has mentioned this situation?

I am afraid I still do not understand the situation entirely. I am going to need further explanation and more insight. I don't understand why there is so much reaction to nothing. Maybe that is where I am going wrong here.

16. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Definitely think Cheney should announce plans and send over the Secret Service with a nice little care package consisting of a new big caliber handgun and a silver bullet, along with a DIY chart showing her the best way to kill herself with a handgun.

17. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

Like I said, if you don't know, I really can't explain it to you. lol...

Your last comment is exactly my point.

The only reaction is coming from people who want to MAKE it something. And it failed. You can't even find any news stories about it anymore. Because there is no story and there never was. But I'm glad you care so much about it! Let me know how the investigation comes out, ok? haha...

18. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

Cheney, I know, but who the Helen Thomas is?
    X

19. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

The only reaction? The White House refuses to make any new comments concerning the issue. They even refuse to make comments about the comments they have already made about the investigation. Comments you can find in this forum. If that is not a reaction, I don't know what is?

Do you know that Rove's lawyer has become his intermediary when discussing this situation? Is that a reaction? The fact that Rove has hired a lawyer to represent him in this matter. Other members of the Administration have also hired lawyers, is that not a reaction?

President Bush stated that he would fire anyone involved in this situation, is that not a reaction?

The Judicial system imprisoned Judith Miller, and threatened Matt Cooper, is that not a reaction?

Limbaugh and Hannity have both commented extensively on this situation, is that not a reaction?

There has been an ongoing investigation by the Judicial Branch for about three years, is that not a reaction?

The fact that so many people who are involved continue to not make comments due to the ongoing investigation is not a reaction?

There are many examples of people reacting to this story.

Are you suggesting that all of these people are interested in making this a more prominent story.

Or are we still deciding whether or not this is a story. Is this a non-story or not? Based on everything said so far, do you still hold the position that this is a non-story?

20. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

You think she would go out as a suicide bomber?

21. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

Yep. :D

The only reason the White House ever declines to comment is because they are asked about it by the liberal press. The only reason Limbaugh and Hannity talk about it is because the liberal press tried to make such a big deal about it.

All of the examples you give only go to prove that there is no story there.

22. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

While that explanation leaves out the investigation itself. And the fact that members of the Whitehouse have hired lawyers to deal with the situation. And the fact that the President had taken a stance on it previously, one he has reversed himself on. And the fact that a member of what you consider to be the liberal press has been incarcerated. I am going to have to agree to disagree with you. Because there seems to be no other reasonable solution to this discussion.

While there is still no definition of what both of us are considering to be the liberal press, and your reluctance to answer my questions concerning what the liberal press may be, I can agree to disagree.

Even though, we have still not settled the matter of whether this is, in fact, a story or a non-story, I agree to disagree.

Even is some consider the exposure of a CIA operative to be a non issue, I have no choice but to put that aside in this instance.

However, I hope that all of those involved in this outrage are prosecuted to the full extent allowed by the laws that exist. Because no matter what side of the political spectrum this outrage falls upon, I would wish the same upon whomever committed a crime such as this.

As far as that goes, I guess we are going to have to agree to disagree.

However, I fail to see where I have been "blind" to anything. I also fail to see where any alleged "hatred" has clouded my view of the situation. I also fail to see where this should be a matter that is more important to "libs" alone, and not the country as a whole.

But again, I will have to agree to disagree with you.

23. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

Sounds good to me. :D

Let's talk again after the investigation's over and see who's right.

24. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Yeah, Xtremehkr, you'd know that if you weren't so detached from reality. :rolleyes: ;)

As far as the original topic goes...do you suppose if the situation were reversed, Dick Cheney would shoot himself?

Helen Thomas for President! :D

25. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

The outcome of the investigation is not necessarily going to be what convinces me of anything either. I may wholly support, partially support, or not at all support that outcome of the investigation. But, sure, we can talk anytime you like.