hell froze over..

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by toughboy, Oct 26, 2003.

1. macrumors 6502a

toughboy

well it may seem dummie, but I couldnt understand what "hell froze over" meant when it was on the Apple site.. I forgot to ask it in last week, but now I'll ask..

what does "hell froze over" mean??

thanx in advance..

2. Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

The fact that Apple ported iTunes to Windows.

3. Wes
    macrumors 68020

Wes

Well I see you are from Turkey, so you probably don't know the phrase hell freezing over, the two opposites coming together, it being very hot in hell and Apple making one of its best programs for Windows.

EDITED: for BAD typo.

4. macrumors 603

It would be more accurate to say the expression "That'll happen when hell freezes over." is referring to something that is extremely unlikely to happen--hell being a place of eternal flame and brimstone, so it's never going to freeze there.

And, Jobs said "We'll release a version of iTunes for Windows when Hell freezes over." (At least at the music event, although it's the sort of thing many, including him maybe, would have said beforehand as well.)

Hence, "Hell froze over."

Must be global warming.

5. macrumors 68000

hvfsl

I thought it was more like, in US culture, hell is generally seen as a very hot place (different cultures have different ideas of hell) and the chances of it freezing over are very low to imposible.

The chances of Apple making iTunes for Windows were very low because iTunes is one of the reasons for people to choose Macs over PCs.

So Apple was linking the unlikelyness of hell freezing over to iTunes being released for the PC.

6. Wes
    macrumors 68020

Wes

Sorry, I made a stupid typo.

7. Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Another one in that vein indicating very bad odds at happening - "A snowballs chance in Hell"

Not very good chances ;)

D