Hell is real, and it's real hot: Pope.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by dogbone, Mar 26, 2007.

1. dogbone macrumors 68020

dogbone

What I don't understand is how 'eternity' can have a beginning

link

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

3. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

DMX has been saying that "It's dark, and Hell is hot" for years. I don't see why the Pope gets all the publicity when he goes and says it. Probably because of racism.

5. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

How the supposed head of the Christian church can even entertain such preposterous constructs is truly mind-boggling. It's no better than the Book of Mormon or Xenu, the alien Scientologist. The Flying Spaghetti Monster has more credibility than these bozos.

6. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

I think purgatory is where the departed soul is reckoned to undergo purification before it's ready to be admitted to heaven. Purgatory is a temporary thing whereas Limbo is supposed to be a permanent place where certain types dwell, some novelty dancing may be involved but I'm not sure.

7. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Genius. I believe you may have cracked part of the meaning of the lyrics of 'Bohemian Rhapsody'... after all, the fandango is a dance, right?

It's so clear to me now. :D

8. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

....how low...can you go?

Attached Files:

9. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Indeed – it's a bit like Dante's nine circles of hell. Your journey into the bowels of depravity begins with the limbo at the first circle, you work your way down to the fandango, until eventually you come to the deepest point of hell and the macarena... :eek:

10. aquajet macrumors 68020

I try not to think of hell as a place where people burn in a fiery pit. If that's the case, then God sounds like a pretty ****ed up sadist. I think the idea that hell is a place where one loses him/herself from the absence of God makes more sense.

11. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Well, except for the dancing....ding-ding-ding-ding, we have a winnah!

It's not completely preposterous, skunk. It's actually a theological inference. People had more simplistic ideas during the days when these things were dreamed up, and what everybody "knew" was that the baptised go to Heaven, and the sinful go to Hell. What nobody could explain, even through the Bible, is what happens to innocent babies who die but are neither sinners nor baptised. Hence the inference that there must be a third place which is neither condemnation nor union with God.

Actually, the admission that this is supposition and not doctrine is, believe it or not, progress for the Church.

However, both this thread title and even the article's title and introduction are misleading. If you read further, it's obvious Catholicism describes Hell as something more like a state of being rather than a fiery pit.

12. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

The Pope said that there was a Hell were sinners were cast into?

Well color me surprised!

13. Teh Don Ditty macrumors G4

Teh Don Ditty

Why does the Flying Spaghetti Monster always get thrown into these things? What'd he ever do?

I thought I was already living under the comman of Satan?

Sorry, it was there. Let's not turn this into a religiously poltical debate.
    seriously don't do it, it was only a joke

14. pengu macrumors 6502a

well. im not religious. at all. my ex's mother couldn't seem to grasp that i wasnt baptised and that i didnt go to church with my parents (who are also not religious)...

so to me by making that statement, The Pope makes me want to go to "hell". If i dont want to believe in a god now, why the hell (no pun intended) would I want to believe in one when I'm dead!?

15. thugpoet22 macrumors regular

I've always said that, God was just fine until man created religion.

Religion makes life complicated. It seems to cause more conflicts than cooperation. And the interesting thing is that no rational conversation or debate can further our understand of religion because its all based on faith not logic.

Hell and Heaven is right here with us. I think they are symbolized in the deeds or misdeeds that happen everyday.

I always tell myself and all who will listen, to not look up but to look within. Its not God and his angels but our conscious decisions that determine the state in which our future will be in.

For the record i have faith in God but i hold no stock in any of man kinds created religions.

16. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Limbo is the first level of Hell. Not that bad, but not great. You aren't exactly being punished, but salvation is hard, if not impossible. Purgatory is a little better, almost Heaven, but not quite. You can be purified by going through a level (or levels) representing your sin(s) and reach the Heavens, or deny redemption and exist just outside of the pearly gates. The Earthly realms are between the 2. Hell is the ghetto, desert, or swampland, Limbo is a not so great suburb/small town, Purgatory a nicer one (upper-middle class), and Heaven the ritzy areas.

I don't know how I know that.

17. bartelby macrumors Core

Have you read The Divine Comedy?

18. takao macrumors 68040

takao

well i also was kinda expecting something outragous only to be dissapointed by a random thing heard years ago by the old pope already

looks like "slow news day"

19. rdowns Suspended

rdowns

Apparently.

[​IMG]

20. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Probably.

21. Queso macrumors G4

Yeah. he s**** in the woods too apparently.

Or something.

22. emmawu macrumors 6502

No they did away with limbo after Vatican II. It was a place they sent unbaptized babies. It was like heaven but you couldn't see God.

Oh God, do I remember Catholic school or what:p

23. emw macrumors G4

emw

Once again I find myself questioning how people can believe in such a loving god who would deny babies who hadn't been baptized entrance into heaven, should it exist.

Even I don't hold it against my 6 month old son when he wakes me up in the middle of the night - he doesn't know any better and can't help himself. Yet god somehow feels that unbaptized babies are not good enough to make it into heaven?

How depressing that must be to religious parents who have lost babies. I mean, really, not only did you just lose your baby, but now you have no hope of ever rejoining them in the heaven in which you believe.

24. OldCorpse macrumors 65816

OldCorpse

Well, you'll never convince people on some issues: religion and politics being the most obvious. These arguments never go anywhere.

If someone wants to believe in a religion, I have no problem with them - as long as I don't have to live with them making laws based on whatever insanity it is that they subscribe to. Basically freedom of religion + separation of church and state, or the American Ideal (sadly, more often theory than practice, especially with the baffoons in charge right now).

Bad as it is here, it's worse in most countries. Would you like to live in Iran with their insane religious oppression? Or China, where you are not free to practice religion? I know I wouldn't. So, I'm grateful to be here in the U.S. of A. where I can be free to worship - or not.

And the Pope is in charge of Vatican City where he can decree whatever he pleases. Brrr. What a joke - why does it matter what an old man in a funny hat says?

How can anybody take seriously ANY religion? Christianity is no better than any religious belief anywhere. Imagine if you knew nothing about the doctrine and somebody told you: every sunday you gotta gobble up some junk believing it's the body of a dead man from 2000 years ago... ewww!!! Really, X-tianity is no different from any gibbering African monkey worship. Just my opinion, of course. Doesn't mean I don't respect X-tians or Muslims or whatever - and I'd certainly fight for their right to believe whatever it is that they want. That's the American deal. But argue about it? What's the point? So the Pope makes a silly statement about Hell - BFD.

25. d_and_n5000 macrumors 6502a

d_and_n5000

How I had it explained to me was that there was a sort of 'waiting room', as we called it, where people who had died between the original sin and the resurrection believing in God and all that, went after they died, because Jesus had not yet committed the ultimate sacrifice for sin, and therefore were not worthy to get into heaven. When Jesus died, however, he had paid the price for all sin, and all those who had died beforehand got into heaven. After that point as well, all people dying in the grace of God got into heaven. Therefore, after that point, it was abolished, because there was no real use for it.

And then with babies, they are/were so little, they didn't have capacity to sin, and therefore hadn't. Because they hadn't sinned and therefore were totally in the grace of God, they got into heaven, no problem. The baptism part didn't really matter, because at that age, it was going to be the parent's choice, not theirs anywho.

And so do I, so do I.:rolleyes: