Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MCK

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 15, 2004
Hi every1. Someone please help I'm having a nightmare! I was using Panther on my iMac but decided to downgrade back to Jaguar (long story) and I just used the original cd/dvd I got with my iMac when i first got it and chose the option to install OS X but preserve my system files/home folder etc. I didnt have a password set before so whenever something popped up requiring my password I'd just press enter. It finished installing and got to the login panel, and when i click on my name it asks for my password and if i just try login without my password it won't let me and shakes!!! I've tried putting in both the Jaguar/Panther discs so i can do 'reset password' but it just ignores them on reboot and goes straight to the login window! Pllleeease help I've got all my stuff on there and now I'm stuck using a Windows laptop eew!
Any help apprechiated
Thanx! :)

MCK

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 15, 2004
Ohhh so it's the 'C' key lol! Never underestimate the powers of Google ;) I reset my password, but it isnt loading properly so screw it I'm just doing a clean reinstall and putting Panther back on. Will loose a bunch of stuff but ive got most of it backed up thankfully!

stoid

macrumors 601
What, your speakers don't work? Did you turn up the volume? Oh, that fixed the problem? Good. Glad it was something that simple! But, yeah, downgrading an OS is a very dangerous thing to do, and will almost inevitably cause problems.

fortgreen1

macrumors newbie
Jan 22, 2004
fortgreen brooklyn ny
I would keep the back up of you home directory on firewire drive or something and wipe the whole drive and reinstall Jaguar.

then copy back teh bkups (ONLY stuff you need) to your home directory.
I would forget about preference folders. but this could be problematick as well.

good luck

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.