hellllpppppp!!!!!!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by atti2000, Sep 1, 2006.

1. atti2000 macrumors newbie

hi...i need some advise!
    i have a little ibook G3....screen is frozen ....its just a grey blank screen with a little "clock"...
    this happened while i was changing from MacX to classic environment....
    this happened now cpl of months ago .....( if not longer!)

What could be the matter with it? Is it worthwhile getting it repaired????
    Will i loose anything on the harddrive?

thanks guys!
    Atti2000

2. Bobdude161 macrumors 65816

Bobdude161

a clock u say? I've never heard of a clock coming up at start up. I know there's the smiley mac or the question mark disk that show up in mac os 9 start up and in mac os x theres a spinning beachball of death in the top-left hand corner when there's some thing wrong in startup.

But what I would recommend is find your mac os 9 CD for your ibook and boot up on that CD by putting it in at startup and holding "c". when your computer loads to the Finder, go to the apple menu and go to control panels and find startup disk and from there it'll give u a list of systems that are installed on your hard drive. choose Mac OS X and/or 9 (which ever will work) and see if it'll boot normally. if not, you may have to reinstall Mac OS 9 and/or X.

Reinstalling a fresh system can be done without losing your older system files. Both Mac OS 9 and X give you that option.

By the way what version of Mac OS X are u runnin?

3. atti2000 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply.....yes u are right....its not a clock!!! its the smiley mac!!
    I have tried the suggestion with the MAC 9 CD and tried to reinstall the MAC X version as well.....but nothing happens.....it just makes me angry and aggressive...:D .....i think i have to take it in and get it profesionally repaired...before i do a harm to it....
    thanks
    atti2000

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

When you tried to reinstall OSX, did it manage to boot from the CD? :)