Hello, Apple, but don't call us: How to NOT register?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Jennifer, Sep 28, 2006.

1. Jennifer macrumors member

Dear Apple Community,

I was wondering if there was any known way to avoid sending resgitration information to Apple upon first installation of a new operating system on an Apple machine.

I remember back when opening up my iBook clamshell with OS 9 for the first time that there was the choice of "register later" and then one could simply delete the alias "Register with Apple" (which showed up saved in hard drive or on the desktop?) before connecting to the net.

Do any of you who prefer to remain completely private and not send out any information at all happen to know how to do avoid this with Tiger's installation?

Thank you,

Jennifer :confused:

2. tvguru macrumors 6502

If I remember correctly, when it asks just hit command-Q and it closes it.

3. BurtonCCC macrumors 65816

BurtonCCC

Just so you know, registering is very beneficial. There is a check box you can uncheck if you don't want Apple to contact you by e-mail to tell you about any new products. I could be wrong, but I've never heard of Apple calling you by phone or ever selling your information to other people who would call you. To the best of my knowledge and experience, it's a very safe thing.

Daniel.

4. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Why, pray tell, would one not wish to register with Apple? Without registering, at least a new system, you will not get Apple Support. Also, it is not as though Apple solicits you via phone for anything, nor do they abuse your e-mail. The only e-mails I receive from Apple are information about hardware upgrades, and it takes less than 7 seconds to remove myself from the email list, however I don't because I actually like getting the email.

Register, don't be an idiot.

TEG

5. tvguru macrumors 6502

If I reinstall the OS I don't bother the second time. Should I reregister?:confused:

6. Jennifer thread starter macrumors member

Thank you for your answer.

So, you mean, when the intial entry field comes up prompting for name, address, etc. you have just hit command-Q and you are taken straight to the desktop?

7. tvguru macrumors 6502

Yes that is what I meant, as long as I remember correctly though. :eek:

8. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

I somehow was signed up for Japanese Apple news, which is difficult to unsubscribe from when you don't read Japanese.

In previous versions at least, any person's details with "BOGUS" in the name and surname fields would be ignored (used for internal testing), and no emails would be sent.

9. Jennifer thread starter macrumors member

Thanks so much.

And you know you can always register over the phone the first time you call into apple for support. This is good for those of us who still distrust online transfer of personal info.

10. Jennifer thread starter macrumors member

Thank you. What I'm wondering about this strategy is . . .

. . . would you be able edit the user profile later that will be set up based upon this initial registration information?

11. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

I haven't used the Setup Assistant in a while, so I don't recall if you can change the user name it selects for you, after entering your ("bogus") details.

If you can't, the only things you might need to change afterwards would be the long and short user names. You can change the long user name easily enough in System Preferences, the short user name can't be changed there.

12. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Uhhh.... when you set it up, don't have it connected to any network?

No network connectivity, no registration. :confused:

13. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Thread Over

I setup the machines at work with a dummy account while off the network. Then setup the "admin" account and mess with the uid. I've never had to resgister a machine otherwise.

14. tvguru macrumors 6502

Support, what's that?! Were talking about a Mac right?:rolleyes: :p
    jjk

Thanks for that info, I wasn't aware of that.:)

15. Jennifer thread starter macrumors member

Could you be a little more specific?

Yes, I'd thought of disconnecting during set up, but eventually one would have to connect.

I suppose then that Tiger (if you are refering to this OS too) does not allow you to set up a separate admin account during set up different from the registration info?

You would alter long name and short name afterwards but from which screen/location (I had always assumed that this would cause problems)?

Mess with the uid? :confused:

16. Jennifer thread starter macrumors member

I had always wondered about that.

Where is it that you can change the short user name? And won't this cause problems with the "keychain" ?

17. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

Quite possibly. You could, of course, just setup a new administrative account right away after finishing the setup assistant, and delete the account the assistant created.

Whether that's more trouble than it's worth, is up to you. ;)

18. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

UID = Unique Identifier (or User Identifier, depends on whom you ask). Each valid user is assigned one in the UNIX world. The default admin account created at OS X initial boot has a UID of 501. Each subsequent user created follows sequence, 502, 503, etc.

For various reasons that I'm too lazy to go into, one should not change the short username. One should simply create a new account with the requisite information, and move the data accordingly.

If you are worried about personal information being sent via the internet from your Mac, well I suggest that you never plug it into the network. Or use bogus information in the registration field. IMO, you're being a bit paranoid, but that's entirely up to you.

19. reflex macrumors 6502a

But you do trust transfer of personal info over a phone line?

20. dextertangocci macrumors 68000

What's wrong with sending personal info over the internet:confused:

I thought it was very secure, with legitimate sites at least. Doesn't Apple use SSL or something like that?

21. Jennifer thread starter macrumors member

22. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

I'm unsure how that linked page answers your question?

23. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

I do. I do it, because I hope they go through their records and see I've installed OSX many times on the same machines, perhaps signaling some problem on my system.

TEG

24. missingdigits macrumors newbie

Actually, Apple called me out of the blue shortly before my one year warrenty expired on my G5. This was my cell phone no less. They were trying to sell me Applecare.

So, they DO call you by phone for no reason other than to sell you Applecare. Just FYI.

25. baxterbrittle macrumors regular

When the registration pages comes up do the following:

1 Type the name you want to use for your user account in the name field
    2 Hit Command + Q and select Skip
    3 Continue as normal setting up your user accounts passwords etc...

OS X doesn't make up accounts for you - It will start by using the name you put in the name field of registration, eg if you put "bob smith" it will start to create a user account "bob smith" with short name "bobsmith" but you get to change any details on the next page. You do not need to register for anything. I don't bother because it is just another step between me and my machine.