Hello everybody!

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by CrackedButter, Jan 15, 2003.

1. CrackedButter macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

Hi everybody, this is my first post on these boards, i got here by following a link from OSnews.com. My life could be further sucked down by signing up to another forum, this will be my 10th!

I'm a windows/linux user and i'm thinking of making the switch, i've seriously thought about doing this since the recent MacWorld. Anything before that was just part time thinking on my part.

I'm soon to be selling my AMD 1600XP system and my NEC Versa Laptop in order to buy a mac. I'm going to raise about £2000.00 in order to switch so i can use Yellow Dog (joking).

I've been using wintels personally since 1996, anything before that was just at school. But i can say, the first computer i ever touched was a mac (yay!), the reason (short version) why i havn't got one already is because i never had the money.

Anyway, this year is "Year of the Mac" and i want one. I don't know why i havn't got one sooner. The ibooks and Tibooks have wonderfull features like long battery life, lightweight and wonderful design, i regret buying this laptop i'm using now.

Everything isn't so rosing though, i want a new mac but i don't know which one. Here's how i see it before me:

Buy the 12" Tibook knowing that there is going to be new faster processors coming out, so instead of buying one, i just save up for the newer ones later on.

OR

Buy an ibook instead, saving me money now, but buy a newer one later on when the newer processors come out.

The lightweight and long battery are the most important features to me at this moment, and both books are roughly the same and a huge improvement over Intel laptops anyway.

My current laptop has everything the mac books have anyway so for connectivity and the like i'm not really gainingg, other than having it inside one form factor. With my current laptop, i have a network card and Firewire card with means all extras are external. This thing isn't light anyway so it's quite heavy to lug around by itself.

However, does a faster G4 867mhz with DDR memory make much difference to a G3 800mhz with slower bus and RAM? My knowledge of PPC isn't much but i'm guessing it works much the same way as the x86 platform

Its only for college work and my music collection (at first ;)) so i don't want to spend alot and i want some future proofing. Which should i buy now or should i just save and wait?

Other than that i hope to have a nice time here and i hope i'm welcomed well.

2. Gus macrumors 65816

Gus

Welcome to the flock! :)

Well, the recent issue of MacWorld has benchmarks between the Powerbook 867 and the iBook 800. In several tests the PowerBook expectedly stomped the iBook, but overall, there wasn't much of a difference. The new 12" will probably be even closer to the iBook in performance. I love my 800 iBook. I sold an older Powerbook and my G4 tower, and I swear that the iBook is faster than the tower (PowerMac G4 733) at everything, including graphics. I will eventually buy a PowerBook again, but like you, I am waiting for a real revolution in Mac processors before shelling out the big bucks.

In short, I reccomend the iBook.

Regards,
    Gus

3. CrackedButter thread starter macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

One thing i don't understand and this is why i'm thinking about this, is the lack of 1MB cache and 1ghz processor with the 12". If it had that i would of probably ordered it by now because that way its performance would seem (on paper) much faster than the ibooks.

Seems they may introduce this later as an update for the sake of it. :(

I might agree with you on the ibook, but all i'm doing is saving myself £250 in the short term.

4. sparkleytone macrumors 68020

sparkleytone

dont forget the lack of an extra 256k cache that the iBooks have. also there is no pcmcia slot on the smalller book. besides that, its an amazing machine. if i had the money for any laptop right now i would get the 12" powerbook in a heartbeat. i love my iBook to death, but a g4...yum.

5. CrackedButter thread starter macrumors 68040

CrackedButter