Hello everyone! I'm new... iMac/Leopard question.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Captain Planet, Mar 26, 2007.

  1. Captain Planet macrumors 6502a

    Captain Planet

    Joined:
    Mar 24, 2007
    Location:
    Canada
    #1
    I've been a PC user my whole life. Now, I'd like to buy an iMac, my first one that is. I was aiming at either the 20-inch or 24. Upgrade either one to 2GB Ram, with the better video card...Anyways, I had made up my mind that I'd go and buy it very soon, like around Easter. But now I've read a lot of articles and rumors that there might be a completely new design of the iMac being release. And there's also Leopard...so I guess what I'm asking is if it would be better for me to just wait a while or go ahead and buy one right now. What do you guys think?
     
  2. epochblue macrumors 68000

    epochblue

    Joined:
    Aug 12, 2005
    Location:
    Nashville, TN
    #2
    Welcome to the right side of the Which-Computer/OS-is-better argument :)

    As for waiting or buying now, I think that comes down to how badly you need it. If you need it now, go ahead and buy. You won't be disappointed.

    If you can stand to wait, then wait and see what comes of the rumors. No harm done if your PC is doing alright for now.

    Just my $0.02.
     
  3. eyup macrumors regular

    eyup

    Joined:
    Aug 21, 2006
    Location:
    UK
  4. Captain Planet thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Captain Planet

    Joined:
    Mar 24, 2007
    Location:
    Canada
    #4
    Well, to tell you the truth, my PC isn't THAT bad I suppose...although it is, but at the moment it doesn't matter all that much. I could wait, but I wouldn't want to wait months. Weeks I could wait...maybe a month. But I was really hoping to get one by at least the end of April. Too bad I can't know any precise dates, I could make a decision based on it.

    Another thing, if there is a new design coming out let's say in a month or two, I'm guessing they won't be selling the current ones on the site, would they? Could there be a possibility of a price drop? Or does that usually never happens?
     
  5. Captain Planet thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Captain Planet

    Joined:
    Mar 24, 2007
    Location:
    Canada
    #5
    I'm also guessing that if I were to buy a new iMac right now, which comes with Tiger...I can be pretty much certain that it's a steady, non-buggy OS. If the new designs came out with Leopard, there's possibilities it could still be buggy and all that. Could there? Or am I talking non-sense?
     
  6. epochblue macrumors 68000

    epochblue

    Joined:
    Aug 12, 2005
    Location:
    Nashville, TN
    #6
    Nah, Apple likes the element of surprise. Sometimes they'll disrupt the supply chain if they have something else coming down the pipe, but not always. Price drops are also kind of a crap shoot. If the machines cost less to make, there's a chance for a price drop.

    Welcome to the world of Apple, where *nothing* is certain. ;)
     
  7. gnasher729 macrumors P6

    gnasher729

    Joined:
    Nov 25, 2005
    #7
    There is always a new model around the corner, so if you wait for the new model you will never buy any computer in your life. And you'll find threads like "Leopard shipping by end of March?" and "Leopard delayed until October?" running simultaneously; clearly one of them must be wrong!

    The only time when you should wait is if Apple has actually announced a new product with a shipping date and you are willing to wait that long, or just before events where new stuff is often announced; I wouldn't buy a new computer two days before MacWorld starts, for example, unless I have to.

    With these few exceptions, buy a new computer when you need it. Maybe Apple releases something better one month later. So what? You'll use that Mac for five years, and Apple will release a dozen better machines in that time. It is just unavoidable.
     
  8. Captain Planet thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Captain Planet

    Joined:
    Mar 24, 2007
    Location:
    Canada
    #8
    Yeah, I understand what you're saying...about new models always being released. That's technology. But it's just that right now doesn't seem so much of a good time, at least to me. Seeing all those rumors, even if they are rumors, some could be right. And guides say not to buy one right now...so I'm really not sure. I know if I wait there's always going to be something better or improved that comes out. That doesn't bother me too much. But if I were to buy one by next week, and a month later they release a whole new design...I'd kind of be ticked off a bit. If someone told me the next release of a new design would be in like 4-5 months from now, I'd buy one right now...that's for sure.
     
  9. Raid macrumors 68020

    Raid

    Joined:
    Feb 18, 2003
    Location:
    Toronto
    #9
    You don't happen to live in Toronto do you? ... It's just that the computer you are seeking is quite similar to the one mentioned in this thread. :)

    At any rate, if you current computer is working and you can hold off till Leopard comes out then do so. At the very least it will save you a bit of cash by getting the latest OS for free. Also the buyers guide is predicting that new iMacs are due. <looks at post above>... oh but you knew that...
     
  10. Captain Planet thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Captain Planet

    Joined:
    Mar 24, 2007
    Location:
    Canada
  11. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

    thejadedmonkey

    Joined:
    May 28, 2005
    Location:
    Pa
    #11
    I'd get it now. It sounds like you really want it, and it's not like what you get is going to be obsolete. Having said that, I'm ticked that I had to get my $2000 MacBook Pro last month when my laptop totally kicked the bucket, and I couldn't wait until Leopard like I was trying to..

    However, Leopard is just an operating system that you can upgrade, and the hardware itself isn't going to become obsolete, so the worse case scenario (which I'm in) is that you'll have hardware that *looks* last generation, and you'll have to spend (I assume) $129 to upgrade the operating system.. but if you need the computer now, I'd get it. If you just want it.. well, still get it.

    There's always something new just around the corner. My first mac was outdated when I bought it, and I'm still using it as my main desktop today.. so really the only thing to worry about is whether you should wait an unknown amount of time for the newest operating system, and a newer industrial design of the iMac. I wouldn't wait though... you won't be disappointed at all!
     
  12. Captain Planet thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Captain Planet

    Joined:
    Mar 24, 2007
    Location:
    Canada
    #12
    Yeah, I might just consider buying it now, like I first thought. Something else I wanted to know...between 2.16 GHz and 2.33, is there like a big difference? Is it noticable? It's just that money wise, I'd already be paying over 2100 sum dollars for what I want, and it's quite a bit more to upgrade the processor, at least to me. Like let's say for gaming, which I do a bit, but I'm not an extreme gamer or anything.
     
  13. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

    thejadedmonkey

    Joined:
    May 28, 2005
    Location:
    Pa
    #13
    By the time the .34 ghz (.17x2) makes a difference for games, it'll be the video card that's holding you back, not the processor.

    Nevermind: you said you're going to upgrade the video card.. so maybe you'll want the extra horsepower. All I know is that you won't need much speed to run the operating system..
     
  14. Captain Planet thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Captain Planet

    Joined:
    Mar 24, 2007
    Location:
    Canada
    #14
    Between a 20-inch and 24, like for the visual aspect and all that, is the 24-inch worth it? Also, is there a big difference between the upgraded video card in the 20-inch compared to the upgraded one in the 24? (Sorry, I don't know the names by heart)
     
  15. JNB macrumors 604

    JNB

    Joined:
    Oct 7, 2004
    Location:
    In a Hell predominately of my own making
    #15
    I've been looking at the calendar, and taking into consideration Apple's public statements, the show schedule, major 3rd party software timelines, supply chain estimates, and marketing/release announcement breathing room, I can safely say that it's going to be a hell of a ride for the next, oh, 90 days.

    One factor that most folks forget, is that Apple development isn't one shop. At a minimum, there are likely uniquely separate teams dedicated to:
    • OS
    • Applications
    • iLife
    • Desktops
    • Laptops
    • iPod
    • iPhone
    • :apple:TV
    • Displays
    • Accessories
    All with sub-teams, and on and on. Which means that there can - and may well possibly be - a large number of releases prior to Summer.

    We KNOW (based on Apple's public commitments) that Leopard and the iPhone are due this quarter. They still have the development capacity to refresh a whole bunch of other stuff without colliding with any other product, other than from a marketing perspective (and Steve's final approval). Remember, too, that the Mini, Mac Pro, and iMac are all "overdue" by 25-50 days (based on historical release schedule).

    Yeah, it's gonna be a good year...
     
  16. Captain Planet thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Captain Planet

    Joined:
    Mar 24, 2007
    Location:
    Canada
    #16
    So...you seem to be saying that it would be worth waiting. Well, it's not like I'm going to buy it tomorrow. I'll see how patient I can be. I could probably wait until late April and see then, if there's still nothing, well by that time it would be almost ridiculous to buy an iMac. Darn it, I wish I would of bought one at Christmas, wouldn't be in this position...
     
  17. roland.g macrumors 603

    roland.g

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2005
    Location:
    One mile up and soaring
    #17
    As a new to Mac and OS X user, I think your thoughts on buggy, etc are valid. I would tell anyone wanting to buy their first Mac to get it now rather than wait for Leopard for 2 reasons:

    1. No one knows how long till Leopard yet and most things point to May/June not April and maybe not till late May at the earliest.

    2. Yes the first release of a new OS can be buggy, so you may want to get your iMac now or soon and then once you know and love it, maybe when there is a 10.5.2 or 10.5.3 release, sometime around end of summer, spend the $129 for the OS upgrade.

    However, that said, the possiblity of an iMac redesign throws a kink into that. Again, we don't know what is coming, definitely not when, and most likely beyond your time frame. Also, as has been seen with the MacBooks and other new releases, rev. A's of a product can sometimes have issues that early adopters have to deal with. I usually don't recommend a switcher be an early adopter. Now the iMac may still have most of the same guts and just a cosmetic change which means that it may not have those issues.

    Lastly, once there are new iMacs, you can probably get the current design from MacZone or MacMall, CompUSA, etc. at a $200-300 discount or refurbs (which are great deals and great Q.C.) however, neither resellers or refurbs get you upgraded graphics card or any other enhancements but RAM. And I think you definitely want the graphics and RAM upgrades, possibly a HDD, I would go for the 500GB over the 250GB.

    All that said, I would buy now, or wait till mid April to see if Leopard is either announced or new iMacs suddenly appear. I'm guess not though since new iMacs will mostly likely feature the Santa Rosa chipset which Intel won't be releasing till May. Then again if you really want the new design and you're counting on there being one, wait and wait and wait...
     
  18. twoodcc macrumors P6

    twoodcc

    Joined:
    Feb 3, 2005
    Location:
    Right side of wrong
    #18
    yeah i would wait if you can. things are bound to come soon......they just have to....
     
  19. Captain Planet thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Captain Planet

    Joined:
    Mar 24, 2007
    Location:
    Canada
    #19
    Well, as of now, I have no choice to wait anyways. Financially, I will be able to buy the system I want in three weeks from now. So until then, if there's any further news or releases, well I'll definitely wait even longer or see whatever happens then.
     
  20. amac4me macrumors 65816

    amac4me

    Joined:
    Apr 26, 2005
    #20
    Congrats on your decision to purchase your first Mac :D

    To answer your question, I guess you must assess your purchasing timeframe. If you are in urgent need of a new computer go ahead and make your purchase now. If you can wait, I suggest waiting for a new Mac with Leopard.

    Good luck with your decision.
     
  21. Captain Planet thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Captain Planet

    Joined:
    Mar 24, 2007
    Location:
    Canada
    #21
    He he, thanks.

    And yeah, I'm still going to wait maybe until lat April, in the hopes that from now until then there's going to be more news/announcements made about new iMacs. If then I need to wait a bit more, it should be worth it.
     
  22. msw123307 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Mar 25, 2007
    #22
    I'm in the same position as you. Im buying my first Mac as well. I decided to try to stick it out. Because, if I wait until the end of April or May, and nothing comes...then I'd be really disappointed if I were to buy one...only to see the new systems come right after that!
     
  23. Scorpius macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Mar 5, 2007
    #23
    There must be a small army of us chomping at the bit to buy a Mac. I'm doing the same thing...waiting and seeing. I had a hard drive failure and some spin-off issues with my current older Windows laptop, but I've fixed all those and it runs just fine. So I can afford to be patient for another month or three. I know there's always something else coming, but I'd rather buy something shortly after the upgrade than shortly before if I have no other pressing needs. Maybe it will be very minor stuff, but I'll take any minor stuff I can get.
     

Share This Page