Hello I am a Newbie!

Discussion in 'Community' started by irmongoose, Jun 15, 2002.

1. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

Okay. Some things have been bothering me. I was reluctant to say this, (cauz I know by posting this, it sounds like I'm a sick a$$) but... well, I guess I'm saying this now.

I know that my posts are not interesting. I know. I know. But I feel that more and more people are ignoring my posts. Or just don't care? Well, I have nothing against you... I would ignore someone who talks crap. It's just that... at least TELL me that I'm talking crap... that way I would know.

Also... ughh I was gonna say something else but... I can't. Aw man. I.... I just can't think of a good way to say it.

(Okay why am I acting like this? I dunno. I think I'm frustrated.)

Heh. I bet no one is gonna reply to this either. Hehehehehehe. Damn. :D

irmongoose

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

This is a reply :D
    (just to make u feel better ;) )

3. irmongoose thread starter macrumors 68030

irmongoose

4. King Cobra macrumors 603

Re: Hello I am a Newbie!

Well, regarding your posts, I think...

Happy? :D

Look. Personally, I respond to posts which I feel I have something intelligent or comical to say. I even try to get into discussions.

From what you are saying, it sounds like some people just make their picks on who to respond to. Here and there there will be people left out of the in-crowd.

Besides, don't expect a reply from everyone. I usually try and post whatever I can that doesn't look cheap and so I can get people's advice, opinion, etc. on a certain topic. I also post how I feel about things.

I don't usually pay attention to people's posts, but maybe you might not have that posting style to get you recognition. Are you a peecee user? (If so, shame on you! No surprise no one responds! :D If you are a Mac user, then let's move on.) Can you generate a discussion? Do people have some feelings about you that hold them back? I don't mean to sound like John Edward or some phychic (sp), but these are suggestions.

Remember, though, no one has to reply from you. I can't just suggest that everyone here has to pitch in and donate a few words to a few posts if they do not reply to people often. Again, it's their choice on who to decide to generate a conversation with. If you really feel this way and it's accurate, then, simply put, you are just being left out of the in-crowd. It's really nobody's fault.

Maybe an avatar will help! :)

5. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Re: Hello I am a Newbie!

With that many posts, there is no way that *someone* isn't responding. One thing that might make a difference is when you post. There are certain times of the day that see more activity than others. If you post when no one is around and come back the next day the whole topic of the thread could have changed and you're post becomes lost.

Don't worry about it. I know for a fact that we have discussed things in the past, you been in many of the threads I've posted to.

Good luck,

D

6. irmongoose thread starter macrumors 68030

irmongoose

Re: Re: Hello I am a Newbie!

Heh. Getting there soon (less than 50 to go)!

No, I am not a peecee user. Heh. I guess I haven't enforced that enough. Okay, so here goes: I HATE WINDOZE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Heh.

irmongoose

7. King Cobra macrumors 603

You're not a peecee user?

WELCOME TO THE FORUMS! :D

Now that you have been recognized, what else may we talk about? :)

8. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

i saw your name and knew you were anything buy a newbie, which shows that you're at least well known as a regular here if not heavily responded to. :D

anyhoo, i think duke was right. depends on when you are posting most. that'll usually do it..

9. irmongoose thread starter macrumors 68030

irmongoose

Something else to talk about?

Umm, lemme see...
    ah!

Have you noticed that the Macrumors forum has become REALLY SLOW? And some random images do not show up?

irmongoose

P.S. Yeah. I'm in Japan.. I always post when you guys are asleep... unless I stay up late (like right now at 1:40 AM) I can't post at the same time as you guys.. I become kind of like the security guard at school.... becomes active when everyone leaves and sleeps when everyone comes back...)

10. britboy macrumors 68030

britboy

Well, there's just under a month to go 'till the next MW (NY). I'm sure fake powermac cases, iWalks, G5 mobo's, etc, etc... will star popping up real soon. We've had one turn up in the private areas already :)

(guess what? To see it, you have to pay up :p)

11. King Cobra macrumors 603

I haven't seen any problems with images here on the forums. Are you using a beta browser or some other senario? That could be the reason, but, then again, I'm not too sure. I know that there has been some RAM buildup within the server in the past, but I thought that was taken care of.

A topic such as the one you just brought up, which is basically a question that I would think people may not be sure how to respond to, may hold back from someone from responding. Quite frankly, I am guessing to keep the discussion alive.

12. King Cobra macrumors 603

Why can't you just post it here? Is it something that you got directly off a corporation or host that isn't on the internet? Or maybe not?

Well, whatever it is, I will try to join within a month or so.

13. irmongoose thread starter macrumors 68030

irmongoose

Naw I'm using IE. But... its fine now.... weird.

Okay back to the topic. Lesson One: Keep discussion alive by not asking weird questions... okay what next, teacher?

Heh.

irmongoose

14. King Cobra macrumors 603

ROTFLMAO! I told you, I'm not John Edward!

And it's not a wierd question. If nobody can answer it properly, or if nobody can find a solution, then it's just too advanced a question for anyone to answer (usually). If the person found the easy and proper solution quickly after the question was posted, then it's a wierd and unintelligent question. (Oh, would that be you, irmongoose? :D Just kidding.)

People on the forums try their best to answer questions other people have, unless they have some plausible reason for why not to. (If some people just don't want to answer a reasonable question that the viewer of it KNOWS the answer to and has all the free time in the world, go to he!!) Others may not be there to help you.

If you want, we can continue talking about off-topic subjects [using private messages]. Otherwise, I think it would be appropriate to finish this thread off, unless you have something else to say that should be brought up here.

15. britboy macrumors 68030

britboy

Just out of curiosity, how do you intend to do that?

16. King Cobra macrumors 603

If we were to continue this discussion:
    I suggest private messages not going through the private forum.

I'm going to edit my previous post when I mentioned private forums... lots of luck! :D

17. blogo macrumors 6502

Oh, i thought it was weird questions that keep the discussions alive.
    Maybe i misunderstood the whole 'weird questions' thing, but what do i know :rolleyes:

18. chmorley macrumors 6502a

chmorley

No worries...

First of all, please don't get advice on social skills from people on the forums. Some of these folks have the most backward social skills I've ever seen.

Secondly, it makes sense why you are a bit sensitive about how you are perceived by others. At 13 (almost 14), it's typically one of the most important issues. As a result, you are probably taking some things personally (like no one responding) when you shouldn't. I've actually come to think the posts that I get the most responses to are my most inflammatory ones. If I simply observe something, others probably read it (or not), but have nothing they feel a need to respond to. If I say, "IE is slow" or "Apple is in trouble if they don't (fill in the blank)," others respond because it strikes an emotional chord. The posts I like the best are often the ones in which I learn something or see something from a new perspective. I hardly ever respond to those.

SO, don't fret. If you're worried that others in your "real" life ignore you, there are plenty of great books on social skills that can be really helpful. I'd really recommend reading them if you are concerned, as it's a fixable problem that impacts your life. If this is simply an issue on the forums, it could be that you are not flaming, making stupid comments, or generally being a jerk. Those are the things (and people) that get the most attention.

There are worse things than not getting attention on the forums. You could be a jerk and get lots of attention. Just look around.

You're just fine, kid. ;)

Take Care,
    Chris

19. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Re: No worries...

Good point, but it should also be noted that taunting and personal attacks along with flaming and stupid comments are basically the only way some members have to post, not being able to contribute in any other way. So making a joke might work a couple of times, its just not very productive.

If you want to make an effort in contributing, create threads on subjects that you know a significant of information on, you'll have a hard time passing of bs, too many people on the boards are experts in practically every field, and you'll be called on it. You live in Japan, I'm guessing that not many members know much about the state of the mac in the Land of the Rising Sun, so that's a good place to start.

D

20. irmongoose thread starter macrumors 68030

irmongoose

Phew. Okay. I guess I was being a bit too paranoid about things. I will take your advice. Thank you to everyone who posted here. I am really grateful.

Okay. End of thread.

Heh.

irmongoose