hello is my mail application active?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by nwrealestate, Nov 15, 2005.

1. nwrealestate macrumors newbie

New to OSX
    I am trying to set up my pop account in OS10.4 when i select the mail application i cannot go to preferences it's not highlighted also cannot go to my help folder. it's there but not turned on???? thank you

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

So when you're in Mail, the shortcuts APPLE-COMMA (preferences) and APPLE-QUESTION MARK (help) do nothing? Are you the only account on this computer? Are you the Administrator account? Maybe repair permissions from your Disk utility in the Utilities folder. :)

3. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

The first time you run mail.app a pop up window normally appears guiding you through the set up process, maybe this is what is preventing you from accessing the preferences...?

4. nwrealestate thread starter macrumors newbie

mail.app

mail.app do you mean select the maill application and this window should appear to start set up. Nothing like that has happen, wish it would so I could set up.

5. nwrealestate thread starter macrumors newbie

more on my email setup

Right on the mail, pref. and help. They are not available. I have networked this computer with my older one for internet access, printer and hard drive access. I haven't set any mail accounts up yett on this computer. Would like to check my email from both computers and also set up additional accounts on this newer computer. I'm the only one on this computer and I have a password so guess that means I'm the administrator? Also tried the disk utility and ran just the verify which founds a couple things (didn't seem to affect my mail acccount) and said it fixed them although I did not insert my startup CD and run the repair. Thank you for taking the time and trying to help me!

6. Lau Guest

Try dragging the "com.apple.mail.plist" file out of your Library/Preferences folder. If you drag it onto the desktop, log out or restart then relaunch Mail.app it will create a new one, which will hopefully give you setup options. If not, you can always drop the old file back in the Preferences folder.

7. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Follow Lau's advice although a restart (or even logging out) probably isn't necessary. :)