Hello ! Newbie need advise on GPS Programming

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by svenh, Jul 24, 2008.

1. macrumors newbie

Jul 24, 2008
    Hello iPhone developers,
    I hope you can help me.
    I am new now and wanted to start my first iPhone app.

I have been through the tutorials, read the tips but I can not find any information to get GPS information.

Can anybody help on:
    1) How to read the current GPS location ?
    2) What is the data format ?
    3) How do I read it ?
    4) If I have 2 GPS positions, how do I calculate the distance in meter between them ?

Any help is much appreciated
    Thanks in advance
  2. macrumors 68040

Apr 22, 2005
    Check the documentation for the CoreLocation framework.
  3. macrumors 6502a

Jul 16, 2008
    It sounds like your first app will likely do the same thing as my first app. ;)

I haven't downloaded the SDK, yet, but I know what I want to try writing first.
  4. thread starter macrumors newbie

Jul 24, 2008
    Thanks for the information. Found it. but now I need to understand it :)
    I will give it a try.
    I did programming 20 years ago in C++, Pascal and Assembler and when reading all this staff, I feel going back but I can´t remember anything.

However I will try it and see what will come out. The programming mind set is still, so in theory it should be possible ;-)

perhaps we share our ideas and do something together

5. macrumors 6502a

Jul 16, 2008
    That would be cool except I may not actually try doing anything for months. I'm a new iPhone customer that has dabbled in programming off and on as a hobby and thought it would be fun to take advantage of Apple's SDK to mess around a bit. I don't know if I will ever justify the money to get something running on my phone unless I am able to get it running nicely in an emulator. I have no idea how the emulator deals with GPS stuff, though.