Hello! Should I buy the 23" or the 20" I work in egypt.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by RianFlynn, Nov 24, 2006.

1. RianFlynn macrumors regular

Hello my new friends,

I am a cinematographer and I work on the Giza plato in Egypt. I am flying to the US this christmas to give my mother a hug and pick up a macbook pro core 2 duo and either a 20" or 23" cinema display.

The issue here is not price... I need to be able to get the monitor back to egypt. I don't want to check it in my luggage, so i will need to carry it on. :)

What do you guys think... can i get away with carrying on a box as big as the 23" or should i just play it safe and go with the less satisfying (and not HD) 20"

Thanks!
    Rian

2. YS2003 macrumors 68020

YS2003

I have both 20" and 23" ACDs. The packing box could fit in the large suite case. But, you won't fit in anything else. Why don't you get the large extra suite caes to carry your 23" ACD? If you are doing the video/graphic works, you would need 23" ACD. I think 20" is too small for that.

3. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

I'm not sure if they would allow you to even take the 20" model as carry on.

The boxes are oversized and well padded.

Once you purchase your display it's probably best to have it shipped by a local FedEx or UPS store, insured of course or just check it into baggage
    and pray alot.

The more important issue is usable screen real estate for your work and
    your control surfaces and the fact that the 23" is HD.

Hopefully, someone here can give you the actual box dimensions.

4. fall3n macrumors 6502

As said above ^^ it's HIGHLY unlikely they'll let you on with even a 20", they are very strict about that kind of stuff and a 20" box will get denied indefinately. I say you either check it in with your suitcase (though with that weight they might charge you an arm and a leg) or just have it shipped to yourself in Egypt, might prove to be a bit cheaper.

5. fivetoadsloth macrumors 65816

fivetoadsloth

i dont think that youll get onto the plan with either one in your hands, much less the 23". The 23" wil suit your needs better so id get that and check a suitcase. Sorry. :(

6. RianFlynn thread starter macrumors regular

Hey everyone,

Well thank you for the advice. :) I just checked the shipping rates for the 23" to egypt via fed ex and DHL.

Fed-ex = $650 or so
    DHL = $350

I guess I am going to have to throw it in a suitcase and pray. Im not worried about it flying domestically, its more about it getting snagged during international flight. :)

Talk to you soon
    Rian

7. RianFlynn thread starter macrumors regular

:) Want to sell me your 23"?

Rian

8. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

9. RianFlynn thread starter macrumors regular

Hey there,

I know I know... it just seems a bit crazy to spend that much on a case. I just want a cheap makeshift way to safely get my gear to another country. Seriously... can't airline workers stop throwing luggage around? Whats wrong with treating customers valuables as if they are ... valuable?

*grumble grumble*

10. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

I spent quite a bit of time and miles on the road touring and nothing beats these cases to protect your gear from airline employees, roadies and the curse of the mummy. :D

11. NJuul macrumors 6502

Wouldn't it be easier to buy it in Egypt? I'm sure they must sell Apples somewhere down there...

12. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

My thoughts too if you just want an ACD for a permanent location.

13. YS2003 macrumors 68020

YS2003

Unfortunately, there is no fix for that. Airlines' baggage handlers will stay the way they are for generations to come (as long as the airline industry exists in the future). The qualifications to that kind job do not require proper understanding on customer service issues. The reason there are so many freight forwarders is they hide the shoddy airlines' services from the customers; they are sort of a decoration box on airlines' shoddy products/services to make the end product/service more presentable to the customers.

14. thewhitehart macrumors 6502a

thewhitehart

I'd be afraid to ship something so valuable to Egypt. I'd definitely check it into baggage. Having previously worked in the shipping industry, I'd say it's a safer bet to have it on the plane with you, whether as a carry on or in the hold, than shipping to Africa. It's not Sudan or the Congo, but I wouldn't trust Egyptian customs. I'm not knocking Egypt; I hardly trust customs in the US.

15. RianFlynn thread starter macrumors regular

So after looking into it...

I going to keep the 23" in the box. Put it in my hard shell suitcase and line it with clothing. :) I would buy a 23" out here but they are around $1700 USD. I will be out here until around august of 07 working on this dig site. Its a cool job... but I had to spend $550 on my 80 gig ipod. :)

Thanks for the help chaps!

Rian

16. tuartboy macrumors 6502a

tuartboy

I know this may sound ridiculous, but I know of a few photographers who have done this to ensure their gear is treated with care. I'm sure this wouldn't work on international flights, but on domestic flights it seems to work well.

If you own a firearm, check it in the luggage with your equipment. Airlines have special rules regarding firearms and if they allow it, your luggage will be treated like royalty. Nothing would be worse for them than to lose luggage with a gun in it... Again, if you try this make sure you know exactly what you are doing and know and follow the airline's rules about checking firearms.

Just throwing that out there.

17. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

It is somewhat ridiculous as not that many countries outside the US will allow civilians to import firearms.

Unless it is in a flightcase like the abovementioned item and it is declared as a professional tool, you may be charged duty by customs if you just have it in an Apple box inside a suitcase.

18. mr_matalino macrumors 6502a

mr_matalino

Sometimes they check your carry on luggage under the plane anyway if it's too big. Or you can always pay more for an extra checked bag. So I'd go with the 23"

19. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

I don't know how Customs might treat you if they " decided " you were trying to smuggle in that sweet 23" ACD wrapped in clothing.

If they confiscate it and some corrupt stooge ends up with the spoils, you're gonna feel pretty bad.

If you're a professional, protect your gear like a professional.

I would check with ANVIL anyway just to see how much a proper case would run you.
    Also if it's all in a proper case, you can declare it as working gear, where in the box,
    they're gonna know it's new for sure and charge you whatever import duty they feel
    is appropriate.

They say it takes 10-14 working days to complete your order and chances are they might already have the case pre-designed.