Hello?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by michaello, Oct 2, 2003.

1. michaello macrumors newbie

I can't believe that no one on this board cares about this - I had to post it again:

"Washington Insiders' Firm Consults Contracts in Iraq"

N.Y. Times: September 30, 2003

WASHINGTON, Sept. 29 — A group of businessmen linked by their close ties to President Bush, his family and his administration have set up a consulting firm to advise companies that want to do business in Iraq, including those seeking pieces of taxpayer-financed reconstruction projects.

The firm, New Bridge Strategies, is headed by Joe M. Allbaugh, Mr. Bush's campaign manager in 2000 and the director of the Federal Emergency Management Agency until March. Other directors include Edward M. Rogers Jr., vice chairman, and Lanny Griffith, lobbyists who were assistants to the first President George Bush and now have close ties to the White House.

At a time when the administration seeks Congressional approval for $20.3 billion to rebuild Iraq, part of an $87 billion package for military and other spending in Iraq and Afghanistan, the company's Web site, www.newbridgestrategies.com, says, "The opportunities evolving in Iraq today are of such an unprecedented nature and scope that no other existing firm has the necessary skills and experience to be effective both in Washington, D.C., and on the ground in Iraq."

Go get a free password and continue reading the article at:

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/09/30/politics/30LOBB.html

2. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Don't suppose people don't care. Speaking for myself, my head is spinning so much over some of the other astonishing stuff coming out of the Bush administration, I'm finding it difficult to concentrate on garden-variety matters like naked influence peddling and war profiteering.

3. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Oh, I just kinda lumped my feelings about this in with the other war-profiteering threads. Plus I don't tend to always go read articles that require me to get another subscription, and we all know what can happen when you comment on an article that you haven't read!

It seems like there have been a flood of these kinds of cronyism stories floating around lately, but I really don't want to believe that any president would use the deaths of Americans, Brits, and lots of Iraqis for profit for his friends and campaign contributors.

[RANT]Unfortunately pay-to-play seems to be the pattern of government officials. Donate money to the political parties and get heard. Don't and get ignored. Clinton took it to new lows in the 90's but now I fear Bush found a way to go even lower. I watch it happen at every level of government, but it is at it's worst at the national level. Native Americans found out the hard way, but now they donate heavily to polititians. If they'd figured out lobbying 2 or 3 hundred years ago, they'd be sitting pretty today. Microsoft, and indeed most of the computer industry was slow on the uptake of the idea too. No pay, government sues for anti-trust violation. Pay, and we can make it go away. Most major companies give to both parties just to be safe. Sounds like protection money to me. [/RANT]

4. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i find this BS indefensible. can anyone defend it?

5. michaello thread starter macrumors newbie

It's total gangster behavior, no matter how you look at it.

It really ought to be illegal. It’s shameless.

What I'm amazed by is the ability this administration has to do whatever they want and then some, while the world stands by drop-jawed and just lets it happen.

They have all our "heads spinning". It's hypnotic, watching it all happen so fast and furious.

The opiate of the masses is fear and chaos - only, this time, no vodka.

6. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Aw, the opiate of the masses is probably more likely the spread on the Packers or Steelers, et al...

'Rat

7. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

And here I thought the opiate of the masses was heroin...
    ;)