Helmet Cam and .avi files converting/importing?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by roland.g, Dec 1, 2006.

1. roland.g macrumors 603

Apr 11, 2005
    One mile up and soaring
    I'm looking at getting a Oregon Scientific ATC-2K Helmet Cam which records/stores .avi files on SD cards. According to their site they are M-JPEG - motion jpegs, but I contacted tech support and they said it outputs .avi files. They also said it works with iFilm on a Mac which I tried to correct them that it is iMovie.

Will I need to/be able to use something like Visual Hub or preferably a freeware to convert the .avi files to DV for iMovie or will iMovie be able to import and convert them as it does quicktime clips. I doubt that I can import directly from the card in iMovie as if it was a camcorder but am supposing I can drag and drop the files off the card.

Anyone have any experience with this, possibly even their cameras. I know the ATC-1000 was supposedly not Mac compatible and was only 15fps 640x480 whereas the new ATC-2000 is and does 30fps 640x480.
  2. NTJetboater macrumors member

Oct 19, 2006

I have a few helmet cams and yes Imovie will import avi's no problem. But I use minidv not the sd cards. I have captured a ton of avi's on a pc then transferred them to mac with no issues.
  3. Danksi macrumors 68000

Oct 3, 2005
    Nelson, BC. Canada
    I've had to convert some troublesome .avi files to MPEG4 in the past, to work in iMovie etc, using:-