HELP! Ð Connect a PC to a Mac to share Broadband?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by QuakerPet, Nov 17, 2003.

1. QuakerPet macrumors newbie

Nov 17, 2003

Can any of you techies out there help a novice?

I have a G4 400 (OS9) using ADSL broadband (Pipex). I want to connect a PC so it can use the broadband as well. What is the simplest way of doing this? I'm only interested in using broadband across the two machines.

Please bear in mind I need to know full hardware and software details

Thanks for any help you can give me.
  2. CubeHacker macrumors 65816

Apr 22, 2003
    Easiest way would be to just buy a router and have that split the DSL connection to both computers. Since its software independant, there would be no incompatabilities to worry about.
  3. QuakerPet thread starter macrumors newbie

Nov 17, 2003

Thanks DAOCleric - this router, when the cable connects to the PC, what kind of connection is it? What does it connect to - a network card?

Is that a router and cable I would need?

Sorry to ask what are probably very easy questions for you
  4. CubeHacker macrumors 65816

Apr 22, 2003
    The router hooks up directly to your DSL modem. The router splits the connection up (usually up to 4 ports on one router, although you can buy larger routers with 8 ports). You then hook up your 2 computers to the router using normal ethernet cable. Yes, the router hooks up to the network cards of the 2 computers.
  5. mikepctp macrumors member

Nov 17, 2003
    just north of Toronto, Canada
    I have a similar setup here at home but have a few more computers.

If you go out and buy a Link-Sys 4 port router, it comes with the software to enable the network.

Once you get the Router, you plug it into the connection that would normally go to your single computer (as if it wasn't shared and the only one with access to the internet).

Then you use a normal (not crossover) e-net cable to connect your PC to your new router into one of the 4 remaining ports open. You also need a cable to connect the Mac in the same manner. The cable goes into the connection on the back of the computer that kinda looks like a phone jack plug... only bigger.

Once you are all plugged in and connected then you put the CD into the PC ( I recommend using the PC to configure the initial setup as it is usually a PC disk that comes with the router).

Then you follow the simple on-screen instructions and soon the PC will be configured. To configure the Mac, simply read the instructions included with the router and it will walk you through it.

It works well and works pretty simply.

Good luck

6. manitoubalck macrumors 6502a

Jul 17, 2003
    Adelaide, Australia
    Yeah just a good old network switch will do the trick. ost DSL modems have a LAN port, plug that into the switch, as well as the computers.