HELP: 2004 taxes on a Mac - used Taxcut 2003 on PC for 2003 taxes

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by photo-video, Jan 29, 2005.

1. photo-video macrumors member

Aug 24, 2004
    Hi all,

I'm facing an issue : I switched over to the Mac in September and want to do my 2004 taxes on my Mac. I used Taxcut 2003 on my PC last year. I want the ability to import my 2003 taxes into the 2004 program that I purchase because I don't want to have to enter information all over again because my 2003 tax returns were quite complex. I also want to start keeping track of my finances on my Mac and the only Mac supported software that I know of is Quicken 2005 for the Mac. So the logical thing to do is to buy TurboTax 2004 and Quicken 2005 for Mac. This way I can take advantage of both Quicken programs working together in the future.

The PROBLEMS are as follows:
    1. TurboTax 2004 for Mac doesn't support imports from Taxcut (PC or Mac version)
    2. Only TurboTax for Windows support imports from Taxcut 2003
    3. Quciken is the only finance program that I know of for the Mac

I did notice that when you buy TurboTax you get both the Windows and Mac versions of the software. I attempted to contact Intuit (the guys who make TurboTax & Quicken) to see if I can import my 2003 taxes from Taxcut into TurboTax 2004 on a PC and then take that and open it on the Mac and then do my 2004 taxes on my Mac. After 3 emails to Intuit, no reply.

Has anyone done this successfully? I'd hate to have to use a PC to keep track of my finances.

I know that I can purchase Taxcut 2004 for the Mac to do my 2004 taxes but I really want to a tax program and a finance program that work seamlessly, TurboTax and Quicken for the Mac will allow that.

Any help would be appreciated!

2. daveL macrumors 68020

Jun 18, 2003
    I have successfully migrated data from TurboTax for Windows to TurboTax for Mac.
  3. photo-video thread starter macrumors member

Aug 24, 2004
    Did you migrate using the same year or from an earlier year to the next year such as 2003 to 2004?

I'm wondering if I can import my 2003 data from Taxcut into TurboTax 2004 on Windows and then take that file and open on TurboTax 2004 for Mac.

Thanks for the reply.