HELP! 360 network problems.

Discussion in 'Games' started by MRU, Dec 14, 2005.

1. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I'm trying to get my 360 to share Airport connection in my powerbook to see the interent (get on live).

However I'm failing at all attempts. Try putting in manually and I get fail, try automatic and fail.

Anyone connecting their xbx 360 to live via their mac Airport connection please help as I'm begging to get rather irritated with it at this stage :eek:

A little advice on settings would be wonderful.... :D

2. EvilDoc macrumors 6502a

EvilDoc

your proably one of a handfull of people that has an xbox 360.. you might want to try an xbox360 forum, you might have more luck. wish i could be more help.

3. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

No bother :) Though I have two 360's (one in the bedroom, one in the office) :D

4. Abulia macrumors 68000

Abulia

You kinda lost me. How is the 360 hooked up to your Airport? Via a wireless adaptor?

5. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

A**hole :p

Not much I know actually works with Internet Sharing. Your best way is just to string Cat5 between the basestation and the 360 (grr :mad: :p)

6. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Yeah, Internet Sharing is ad-hoc. I tried to get my Nintendo DS to work with it. I know it CAN be done. I've seen a thread about it somewhere.

7. Abulia macrumors 68000

Abulia

Ah. 360 to Powerbook via eithernet (crossover) cable and Internet sharing via wireless to the Airport?

I didn't do it on the Mac, but back when I beta test Xbox live, I did this with my original Xbox. It did work just fine.

8. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

I've plugged in the 360 to the powerbook ethernet port using a crossover cable. Airport is enabled in sharing as device to be shared on the port - ethernet.

However in network settings ethernet is not being seen properly. Just the redlight. Problem is putting in a manual IP address doesn't seem to be helping either.

I put in the ip address 192.168.0.2, subnet 255.255.255.0 default gateway 192.168.0.1

I assign those to the 360 and they pass the ip test.
    However the 360 fails everytime on the DNS settings.

I've tried multiple entries of settings but don't seem to get any to work. It's driving me beserk. :confused:

9. Abulia macrumors 68000

Abulia

I've not played with OS X Internet connection sharing, so I'd have to do some research. Your DNS entries on the 360 will need to be entered and the same as your Powerbook; the PB can't provide DNS lookup on its own.

Live uses ports 88 and 3074, so make sure those are being passed on the PB as well. I'll fool around with my wife (and her Powerbook ;) ) and see what I can find out.

10. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

Thanks Don.

I just got it working :D

I kept the IP address on the ethernet port the same and inputed a manual ip address onto the xbox 360, but I set the default gateway to the IP address that I had set the Ethernet port on the powerbook.

The DNS settings which were a pain on the 360 to get right, with a bit of persitance and a load of trial and error I stumbled on the solution.

Basically the DNS settings to use on the 360 is the IP Address for my Airport Connection.

Once I manualy set that as the DNS primary on the 360, ran test xbox live connection and whoopie it confirmed everything was ok.

:) :)