help! (39GB laptop and 60GB iPod)

Discussion in 'iPod' started by chrismx72, Jan 28, 2006.

1. chrismx72 macrumors newbie

chrismx72

hello people
    i am new to this forum i just come on here to ask for help if some one could give it to me it wouldt be much appreached. rite here is my problem
    i hav a 39 g laptop but i have a 60 gig vidieo ipod,
    i want to be abel to delete songs of my laptop to give me more space but i want to keep them on my ipod, i want to be able to update my ipod with out deleting the songs i have allready put on it. please help me some one thanks ever so much :eek:

2. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

3. chrismx72 thread starter macrumors newbie

chrismx72

but when i update it wont it delete all the songs of my ipod that iv deleted of my pc.

4. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

No. That's why it's called maually update. Whatever you drag onto the iPod stays there until you manually drag it off again...

5. chrismx72 thread starter macrumors newbie

chrismx72

AHHHH
    YOU LEDGEND thanks ever so much, bluming itunes makes me soo confused. you might hear from me some more on here:D which is bad luck for you haha
    do you allow tt language one here?

6. chrismx72 thread starter macrumors newbie

chrismx72

rite so let me get this right, i hav put songs on my computer i then copy them into itunes nd i manually update, i delete all of the old songs i had on my compter to there for give me tonnes more space for work use, but then when i update mu ipod by right clicking on ipod then pressing update it will not delete my songs off my ipod it iwll just add the ones i have put into itunes and wont delte all the ones i have delted of my laptop . yeh?

7. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

More or less, just don't do that right-click -> update thingy... ;)

The way you add songs is to import them into iTunes and then drag them onto your iPod (see link to Apple's iPod 101 above). Then deleting them from your iTunes library (and HD) should be just fine (after you've made appropriate backup, of course, remember it's very easy to loose an iPod, and the HD on the iPod may fail).

Again: Lay off any automatic update functions... :)

8. chrismx72 thread starter macrumors newbie

chrismx72

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:
    so confused its unbelieveable.
    sorry mate dont wanner be a pain

9. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

See if this makes it clearer. :)

Click on Play the movie and watch the whole thing...

10. chrismx72 thread starter macrumors newbie

chrismx72

YES . thank you !!! thats better cheers matey boy. i ow u one

11. chrismx72 thread starter macrumors newbie

chrismx72

"remember it's very easy to loose an iPod, and the HD on the iPod may fail"

what did you ,mean by that?

12. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

If you have all your music on the iPod and no longer on the HD of your computer, and then the iPod is lost or broken, you also loose all your music.

And it's very easy to loose an iPod. They are very sought after by pickpockets, muggers and regular theives, and it's small enough that you can misplace it or forget it somewhere.

Also a small percentage of all iPods will fail from manufacturing errors. It might not be more than 2 or 3 per hundred (or even per thousand) but HD (or any other component) will fail on a small number of iPods**.

Then there's also the chance of an accident, you may drop it, sit on it, forget it in the pocket and put it in the washing machine (search the forums and you'll see all this is feasible). Not all iPods will recover from those and other accidents.

With out backup any of the above mentioned scenarios will make you loose all your music, and not just the (in it self replaceable) iPod. So it was just my way of saying: Be careful... You know the one about having all your eggs in one basket, right...? ;)

** You will of course get a new iPod if his happens when it's still covered by the warranty, but, again, the music won't be replaced...

13. chrismx72 thread starter macrumors newbie

chrismx72

yeh dude cheers.
    iv done as you said manul crap its worked mega but its decided to delete al my movies of my ipod WTF why!!! :(

14. chrismx72 thread starter macrumors newbie

chrismx72

hello
    i have just relised you lot have told me not to update my ipod because i haveit on manual update YEH?
    welll photos update automaticcally so how do i work them with out deltetin them on purpose to .......

15. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

OK, I edited your post so that it made a little more sense.

I am in the same boat as you although with an older, 3rd generation iPod.

I have mine set to "Manually manage songs and playlists." It is also set to automatically update contacts and calendars and certain Podcasts. I have never had it delete songs when I control-click the iPod and select "update" so you should be fine to update your iPod by control-clicking (right-clicking on Windows) and selecting "Update."

As for your movies, check the movie preferences for your iPod to ensure that they are being "synced." If that doesn't work, try dragging them to the iPod in the source list in iTunes.

And please calm down, we're here to help.

16. chrismx72 thread starter macrumors newbie

chrismx72

:eek: ok sorry i will
    im a little impatient
    i race motocross so.... im bound to be impatient
    oh yeh sorry about my post .
    thanks dude i might come back on here later but i get the drift what your on about thanks for everyones help i really appreachte it .
    chris

17. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

No worries mate, I'm a waiter - we have infinite patience...in public.

Hope it all works well.

18. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

And actually, since there's technically 2 parts to your iPod (one part that holds all the music that your iPod can play, and one that acts like a backup harddrive), you can sync all your music to your iPod, set iTunes to update manually (which means that iTunes won't update and erase the songs from your iPod unless you ask it to update), and then move all your music files into the backup harddrive section of your iPod as well. This means you'll have every song put on your HD twice. That way, even if you accidentally update your iPod, you still have every song on the backup HD section of your iPod. You have enough space on your iPods HD to do this.