Help: 5+ min. bootup!

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Squareball, Mar 16, 2004.

1. Squareball macrumors regular

I have a G3 800mhz iBook with 640mb Ram. It was purchased in November from Apple.

Since I got it, I upgraded it to Panther but my bootup times are SOOOO long. It takes about 1.5min to get to the login screen and when I login I get a screen with my wallpaper on it, and the spinning beachball of death just sits there for 4 to 5 min before I finally get the dock and menu bar. I ran the fix that was supposed to speed up the bootup time but that didn't work at all. I also checked to see what was starting at startup and I removed all the things that were starting by default (like Tomcat and Apache) but still no luck.

Any ideas?
    It's not a terribly difficult problem since I usually just leave it on all the time but it is annoying when I have to reboot for an update or if I want to take it somehwere with me.

2. glosterseagul macrumors regular

Me thinks G3 not quick enough for OSX. Start up is quite long on the G4. I took it of our G3s (I admit not 800mhz)

not much help tho....

3. mikepctp macrumors member

I have a G3 Beige here with just under 500mb of RAM. With the old 300 chip she booted 10.2.8 in about 90 seconds to the dock.

With the new chip it's up in 1/3 the time... have you dumped things like screen savers and photo desktop patterns? Turn off things like Norton AV Live update (if you run it) and Apple update... do you have any external devices connected? If so, unplug everything and refire... if it's quicker, start the re-connection one-by-one and re-boot... when it slows, you found the culprit. I happen to have a SCSI issue I am still chasing...

I admit I am very new to OSX but it should go quicker than that on a machine more potent than mine.

MP

4. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

you must be set up to access some networked stuff or something that needs certain amount of time to "time out"... that's way too long no matter the processor. usually the part that takes the longest is the white screen (with silverish apple symbol), not the desktop bkgd/white window screen...

5. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

Have you tried unplugging ethernet or anything dealing with networking? If it is looking for it, then it will just be sitting there until it times out a few times and gives up. Sometimes if my school's network goes down, it makes mine really lag until I just give up and unplug the ethernet cord and suddenly it is nice and snappy again until the school gets the internet back up.

6. Squareball thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks, I'll give this stuff a try. I do run Norton AV so I'll try to disable that and unplug my ethernet. :)

7. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

whats the point in n av when not one virus affects osx my dad scans his inbox with that program that came with his .mac (can't remember what it's called)

WHATS THE POINT

(if we were useing a pc it would have had the win32 virus various versions of mydoom and countless others that my dad has opened)

8. Flowbee macrumors 68030

Flowbee

Panther runs just fine on my G3/400 Powerbook. Boot-up time is just under 60 seconds.

EDIT: I should clarify... 60 seconds to the login screen, another 30 seconds to the dock.