Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The Wanderer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 30, 2003
Greater Chicago Area
Yeah, a stupid newbie-style mistake.

I was backing up my Premiere files onto a new 120 GB external firewire drive so I could upgrade to OS X.

I tried to pull a USB device but grabbed the FW by mistake.

Up pops the Please reconnect.

I did but "no dice".

Now it doesn't even see the device.

Help Please.

I assume the data is dumped but I really need to use the drive again.

HELP MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
Have you tried powering the FW drive off and on again? what about rebooting the Mac and reconnecting. The Macs running OS 9 at my work seem to be flakey w/newer FW enclosures.

Lethal

WoofyMCSE

macrumors newbie
Aug 30, 2003
You can just select the drive and then pick 'Erase disk' from the format menu in the finder. If there is data on there that you would like to recover then I would suggest getting a copy of Disk Warrior. It has saved my bacon more than once when a firewire disk stopped responding

junior

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2003
Originally posted by WoofyMCSE
You can just select the drive and then pick 'Erase disk' from the format menu in the finder. If there is data on there that you would like to recover then I would suggest getting a copy of Disk Warrior. It has saved my bacon more than once when a firewire disk stopped responding

I think the current problem is that he can't simply select the drive.
Is there any extensions worth checking? Maybe it somehow got corrupt when you had the incident?

WoofyMCSE

macrumors newbie
Aug 30, 2003
If it is so damaged that it won't mount at all then you may be stuck with buying a copy of disk warrior. Drive setup is a crappy disk formatting program for sure. Why they give you a disk formatting utility that won't work with third party disks is beyond me.

There may be a cheaper alternative if you don't want to rescue the data on there now. I'm willing to bet that if you plugged it into a friends Windows 2000 PC that you could format it just fine. I would format the disk as FAT32 and then bring it back to your Mac. Once the damaged format is replaced with something that the Mac can deal with you should be able to reformat it again as HFS on your Mac.

I went through a simular experience with my original iPod. I was trying to upgrade the software and it became damaged and unmountable. This was before I bought Diskwarrior and nothing on this machine would see the iPod anymore. I formatted it on a PC and was able to reinstall the iPod software on my Mac after that.

mymemory

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2001
Miami
Get Disc Warrior.

You probably lost the herarchical structure but the files still there.

Now, if you still having the original files in your internal hard drive just use Northon or any other software to reconize the unite.

Asuming you did this Disc Warrior will do it for sure. Opend Disc Warrior soft and then tur on the external drive, it will reconize the unit and you won't even need to re-formate it, just re-create the structure that that is it.

I have a 60GB IBM external HD and I get that almost every week.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.