Help a Guy get a G5..lol

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Patch^, Aug 16, 2005.

1. Patch^ macrumors regular

2. Xephian macrumors 6502a

Xephian

He can atleast sell is old G4 instead of blowing it up. I saw this at Macnn.com too.

3. Christofari macrumors newbie

i wouldnt give him a dime till i found out what kind of explosives hes using

4. 20rogersc macrumors 65816

20rogersc

I'm shocked about how much money has already been donated already :eek:

::20ROGERSC::

5. joecool85 macrumors 65816

joecool85

That's really funny. Good idea too. I think I would donate...if my G5 worked. But it just got here, DOA, so I'm not in a giving mood.

6. kalisphoenix macrumors 65816

kalisphoenix

That's sad. If it was a Dell, I wouldn't give a ****, but I love the graphite G4's. Of course, it might be a Yikes!, in which case I have the same damn thing in a blue and white case. And I guess I wouldn't care too much about a Yikes! either. Sawtooth and up, though, that's just cruel.

Wins points for amusement, though, I'll donate. Even though he should really just give me the G4.

7. dops7107 macrumors 6502a

dops7107

Yes, but will he get $5000 for an old G4?

He has an interesting sales pitch. I wonder if he's going to receive 20,000 quarters in the post (plus a lot of envelopes). Otherwise we'd have to give a minimum of $.55 via PayPal.

8. njmac macrumors 68000

njmac

He is a videographer, if he works hard enough and is good enough, he might be able to buy[/B] a G5.

Then he could donate his perfectly good G4 for a good cause.

9. efoto macrumors 68030

Adria Petty Design must employ him or be interested in his work, a $200 donation is pretty nice considering.

I too am quite surprised of how much as been donated, over $1k not counting the design company, which assuming those are all 'randoms' like he was getting at, at roughly $0.25 then we are looking at over 4000 people. Come on, don't you know that same quarter can get you a sexy surprise from rest-stop bathroom machines? :rolleyes:

10. JesseJames macrumors 6502a

I'm wondering why doesn't this fool get a part-time job and earn the money like any other respectable person?
    He's so desperate he's got to pull an internet stunt like this?
    Doesn't he know about PowerMax trade up program?
    Hasn't he heard of eBay?

11. xli_ne macrumors 6502a

xli_ne

12. stridey macrumors 65816

stridey

I wouldn't call him a scam artist. The guy is doing exactly what he says he's doing. He's soliciting for money. No scam there. Not necessarily hard-working, but not samming either.

13. efoto macrumors 68030

Can't really argue with that theory. I think what he is doing is actually quite smart. He knows there are a ton of people who lounge around on the internet all day looking for crap like this to waste money on, and it has been successful for thousands of other 'scams', why should he not try?

All he had to do was register his domain name, host it, and then shoot that little video explaining his idea. I didn't see any guarantees or anything on site, so who says once he gets his $5k he won't just keep his G4 and buy his now-free G5? Heck, I would just buy a G4 case on ebay for $40 and blow the snot out of that, just to give the show I promised. It is pretty stupid to destroy a working computer that is still good.

14. gangst macrumors 6502a

I can't believe one person (company) gave a donation of $200, if they've got this much spare, surely a charity donation would be a more obvious way to spend lose change :rolleyes:

15. jdechko macrumors 68040

No one is being forced to give money. Its like asking for spare change in the lunch room so you can get an ice cream, except its the internet and a computer. I see nothing wrong with what he's doing.

16. Phat_Pat macrumors 68000

Phat_Pat

17. jiv3turkey748 macrumors 6502a

jiv3turkey748

ive always thouhgt about doing what hes doing, just asking people on the internet for money
    we all need to donate so we can see that thing blow up

18. StokeLee macrumors 6502

StokeLee

19. Platform macrumors 68030

Platform

I know what he should do.........since he is so good a t video editing....he should sell the G4 to get the money but make a video that looks like the G4 is blowing up...with Final Cut Pro and Motion :D .........Ooops maybe I ruined his plan :p

20. JesseJames macrumors 6502a

Go to Powermax.com

21. 7on macrumors 601

7on

For all the people "griping" about his video skills... notice that he's in the video and not shooting it? That could be the reason why. And I certainly wouldn't pay anyone for camera work on this project. I think the post-editing is pretty good and if I had enough ambition, I'd do the same thing.

He's definitely not in the Web Design business...

And looking at his current donations+money for selling the G4 he can already get a low-end G5.
    It's not like he can't buy a G5, but look at all the software he must buy as well when he gets a G5... FCP5 runs pretty high on the monetary value.

22. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

Luckily he will be able to do the upgrade since he is a past purchaser. I'll donate a quarter, I want to see this thing blow up.

jon

23. JW8725 macrumors 6502a

I dont think anyone should donate anything to this guy. Americans blowing up and destroying things just sounds bad to the rest of us people who share the world with you! He should get a job and save up like the rest of the folk! Sell the old mac to raise some funds maybe? This whole thing would have sounded better if he had offered to maybe raffle of his old mac instead of destroying it. As a mac user and a member here I'm sure people would agree that seeing a Mac blown up is the last thing anyone wants too see. I would rather the 25 cents or whatever was given to a charitable cause.