Help a newbie with her ipod?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by hedgehogg, Oct 27, 2005.

1. macrumors newbie

Oct 27, 2005
    I won an ipod a few months ago -and lost it (argh) I just replaced it and while downloading my library of songs (like 1017) the ipod hung up - would not copy, would not quit, would not do nuttin at song number 773. I was terrified at destroying everything but ended up saving 557 songs after shutting down and rebooting. I'm working from a mac laptop with OS X and it worked FINE for that first ipod. I'm terrified now - do I just delete that song that hung up? (which was totally average/normal/just a song off a CD). Would you suggest I only try to download a few at a time? I cannot see that i did anything wrong but I'm just afraid - I can't afford ANOTHER ipod if I mess this one up and i feel pretty damn stupid here. Can anyone help me figure out what's wrong and if it's fixable?
    If I've messed up here, my apologies - I read everything I could and it would appear this is the right place to post this?
  2. Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Apr 3, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    Use the iPod Software Updater to restore your iPod and try again. Sorry, but that's the only workaround I can think of at the moment. :eek:
  3. macrumors Penryn

Jul 11, 2003
    If mad jew's advise does not work, try moving the song out of your library and then update. A colleague at work had issues with a song corrupting the iPod and rendering it useless. Apple graciously replaced his unit and then again three days later. The bad song was ripped from a CD.
  4. thread starter macrumors newbie

Oct 27, 2005
    thanks it was simple

after emailing the folks who sold it to me who advised me, I tried again and everything was fine. The ipod just looked at me like "what? What WAS your problem?" NO idea why it hung up/crashed but i was able to put everything on the pod, add some new stuff and listened to it and it seemed fine. GO FIGURE. Had it not happened that way, thanks, I was thinking of both those ideas - I was going to delete the song right off but never got around to it and it seems totally content now. I appreciate the help.