Help a PC guy switch!!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by dmurray14, Oct 31, 2005.

1. dmurray14 macrumors member

Hey guys,

Just got a hold of a Powermac G4, 867mhz with 256 of Ram. It was given to me with everything but a hard drive. I have a hard drive (though it needs to be formatted? can the installer do that?) and I have the tiger DVD, however, I have no idea what I need to do to install. Will the DVD boot? What steps to I need to take to get OSX on this PC? I am really anxious to get going, and would like to get it done duing some downtime tonight. Any help is greatly apprecaited!

Thanks,
    Dan

2. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Get more ram, make sure you update firmware if needed before going tiger check at apple,and you will need to reformat that drive. I could be wrong but i think you may need another Mac before you start. any help here i dont know if you can do that just off the disc.

3. dmurray14 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks...

I dont know how to check the firmware because I can't boot it - no drive. Also, how would I go about formatting the new HD for an install?

Thanks,
    Dan

4. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Have you tried booting from the Tiger DVD?

I think it will be able to format the new boot drive. I would also expect Tiger to install any required firmware update if it's needed, but you might want to confirm that before taking the plunge.

If the installer will not install to a blank drive you can run Disk Utility from the Tiger install DVD which can certainly format a new HD.

5. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

I would doubt Tiger puts in Firmware

6. PCMacUser macrumors 68000

PCMacUser

Switch on the computer, insert the disc, and hold down the C key. That'll boot from the CD drive.

7. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

The Tiger DVD (at least the retail boxed one I have) is bootable. I installed Tiger to a blank drive in a firewire enclosure before putting it on my iBook's internal drive, so it should work fine as long as you can boot it. Whole thiing should take about 30 minutes.

As DHM pointed out, you will definitely want to add at least another 256MB RAM after you get it installed, though 512+ would be better still.

B

8. dmurray14 thread starter macrumors member

I am getting "this software cannot be installed on this computer"

I am using the boot DVD from my friend's G5. I have no idea where the original g4 install is. What can I do?

Thanks,
    Dan

9. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

You can't use the restore disk from one class of computer with another class of computer. So PowerBook restore disks can be used on PowerBooks (or iBooks). PowerMac disks cannot.

It's also illegal to do this. The restore disk is licensed for the machine it was shipped with only. You need to get a legal retail copy of Tiger.

10. PCMacUser macrumors 68000

PCMacUser

You can purchase legal retail copies of Tiger for a reasonable price on eBay...

11. jeffzoom macrumors member

Step 1) Insert drive into pooter'
    step 2) Go buy leagal copy of Tiger
    step 3) Open cd drive, insert tiger dvd (hopes you have a dvd drive here*)
    step 4) Boot pooter' while holding the "c" key
    step 5) Have fun
    step 6) add some ram...now...
    step 7) Laugh at windoze users (optinional, and you can laugh at me too, because i have yet to secure a mac)
    step 8) Go on with life minus defragging minus spyware minus concussions from desk-style headbanging= a mac

HAVE FUN!!!:p ;) :D :rolleyes: :cool: :eek: :D :D :D