help a poor guy out?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by laidbackliam, Apr 18, 2006.

1. laidbackliam macrumors 6502

Feb 1, 2006
    i got my macbook (sn w8610) in march. i had NO issues that other people talked about. the whine, the hum, the flicker at the bottom of the screen, airport problems. nada. in the last few days though, the airport won't pick up my trusted networks without me turning airport on and off twice. i get random restarts, and had a kernal panic. and for some reason right now spotlight won't work. at all.

what should i do?
  2. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

May 2, 2005
    Try repairing permissions.

Open Disk Utility, (~/applications/utilities/disk utility)
    In the column on the left, click your startup disk's icon.

Click the First Aid tab, and then click Repair Disk Permissions. Disk Utility will reset any files and folders with incorrect settings.
  3. cyberddot macrumors 6502

Jul 4, 2003
    in a forest
    Call me crazy, but when I've had a problem with a new Mac, which has been one time in the past 7 years, I called Apple...? You paid for support and I think you should demand it when you're having problems. But then...I'm funny that way.

^^^After you repair permissions, of course. ;)

4. laidbackliam thread starter macrumors 6502

Feb 1, 2006
    spotlight still won't work, but i haven't restarted in about 20 minutes

an apple store just opened locally, think i might go by there tomorrow and see whats going on.

this is truly annoying. i love the mac, its phenomenal. but it needs to work, you know?
  5. laidbackliam thread starter macrumors 6502

Feb 1, 2006
    grar, the apple store here is currently just "an apple center", genius bar isn't set to open for a few months. so basically they sell the computer but nothing else at the moment.

talked to the kind folks at applecare, and a guy had me set up a new user account, test out spotlight, and then go back to my main account.

EVERYTHING IS WORKING NOW. its crazy but its working

(and he said its the first time he's heard about spotlight not working on a macbook pro)