help a windows (cringe) guy switch, please...

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by marshall, Jan 12, 2003.

1. marshall macrumors newbie

here's the scoop. tell me if its possible. believe it or not i cant seem to find the answer on apple's site. i have a pc desktop and a dell notebook connected via high speed cabel modem. the desktop is hardwired to the cable modem and the notebook is connected wirelessly to the net via a linksys router. id like to replace both with one ibook and be able to have wireless access anywhere in my house with just the one ibook. can it be done? hopefully im being clear..one ibook...net access wirelessly...cable modem. what products (besides the ibook) do i need? an airport extreme is what i thought? gimme a hint, folks. thanks alot

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

All you need is an AirPort card in your new iBook, this will connect your iBook to your Linksys wireless router (it is a wireless router isn't it?) and then in turn to the internet via your cable modem.

Enjoy your iBook and welcome to the club :)

3. marshall thread starter macrumors newbie

ahha!

so i should ( i wont hold you to it) be able to use the linksys router and not have to buy an additional airport extreme base station...cool. thanks alot. much appreciated!

4. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Re: ahha!

Yup, the Linksys router and Apples own AirPort both use the same wireless standard (802.11b), so you can use Apples AirPort with the Linksys router with no problems.

5. G4scott macrumors 68020

G4scott

Re: ahha!

It should work fine, assuming that the router is a wireless router. The iBook still uses the normal AirPort (802.11b), but if you really wanted to, you could go for Airport Extreme, and be ready in the future for something faster, but it seems that what you have now will work fine. The only benefit with AirPort would be the easy configuration. Other than that, everything should work just fine.

6. LimeiBook86 macrumors 604

LimeiBook86

YAY!

Welcome to the Mac and be sure to download all of Apple's cool free apps, enjoY!

7. Gus macrumors 65816

Gus

Welcome!

You know, I was just thinking, and if for some reason you decide to ditch the Linksys (no reason to by the way), I'll bet you can get a 2nd generation Base Station("Snow") on the cheap right now. It won't have wireless USB printing like Extreme, but I am thinking monetarily (as most grad students seem to). :)

Regards,
    GUs