Help a WoW Noob

Discussion in 'Games' started by Patmian212, May 14, 2005.

1. Patmian212 macrumors 68020

Patmian212

Ok well Today I bought world of warcraft and let me just say its amazing. I am a Paladin Dwarf level 5(almost 6), Account: Name:Luminous. I started in coolridge valley completed all the quests there and I went into coolridge pass, and beyond coolridge pass is a huge world, I literally am lost the whole time. I found Khronos and Ironforge. Over there everyone is a much higher level then me. I feel like I skipped something.
    My questions are:
    When you were noobs how did you guys orient yourselves?
    Did I skip something, was I supposed to go to past coolridge pass so early?
    What are skills , where do I learn them and what are they for?
    What are the big areas apart from ironforge do people meet in?
    Can I repair equipment in coolride valley is so where?

If anyone is willing to help me it would be great I am sincerly lost and have no idea what to do(apart from quests)

Thanks any advice would be apreciated.
    Patmian212

PS: If you havent noticed I am a complete RPG novice.

2. Patmian212 thread starter macrumors 68020

Patmian212

Also every how long will my character learn new attack moves?

3. applemacdude macrumors 68040

applemacdude

FOR THE HORDE!~

lol

u can train with your class trainers they are around in all medium + major cities

i was actually in the beta so i am pretty familiar with the whole environment

4. Patmian212 thread starter macrumors 68020

Patmian212

What does training really do? I did it once to get an aura but when i go back the other things arent highlighted so I cant select them.

5. Dr. Dastardly macrumors 65816

Dr. Dastardly

Because your not a high enough level to learn them yet. Once you gain more levels more talents will open up to you.

Skills are also a form of talent, like blacksmithing or tailoring. A first you can only make a couple of things like a pair of pants or whatever and you keep practicing to gain xp in that talent. After a while you will be able to make better and better stuff such as 14 slot bags if you get higher in tailoring. You can then use them for yourself or sell them to NPCs or other players.

6. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

quit while you still can. WoW is one of the worst things to happen to me in a long time. I'm very serious.

7. Macamus Prime macrumors regular

When you were noobs how did you guys orient yourselves?
    It takes time. When you are looking for a trainer, merchant or whatever - ASK A GUARD! Also, feel free to ask questions in Gen Chat. Type "/1" (without quotes) and ask what you need. Someone may respond, hopefully a nice person.

Did I skip something, was I supposed to go to past coolridge pass so early?
    Your fine. You are where your suppose to be.

What are skills , where do I learn them and what are they for?
    Ask a guard for a trainer. From there, its up to your play style. Do you want to be a healing paladin? Or a fighting focused paladin? Both are difficult to achieve, because the paladin is a jack of all trades and a master of none. If you want to be a melee master - go warrior or rogue. Paladins are excellent soloers. They take time to kill things, but you will survive because of your healing abilities and Devo Aura. I face 3 to 4 levels above me (I am 37 now) and walk away in one piece - again, mostly because I can heal if they rip into me.

What are the big areas apart from ironforge do people meet in?
    Stormwind. You can take a train to Stormwind and there is a whole new area there. I think the Stormwind area is nicer. You can quest there. Then the next step is Westfall (which I don't like) and Loch Modan (from Iron Forge).

Can I repair equipment in coolride valley is so where?
    Since you are out of Coolridge, you might as well go to Iron Forge (EDIT: whoops, forgot to add where to go!)

Some Advice
    Train in 1st aid & cooking (ask a guard for a trainer). They do not take up your main professions. With cooking, you can get nice stat boosts off the food you eat. For 1st aid, you may want to heal after a battle without having to use mana. 1st aid is mostly for classes that can not heal themselves. Paladins don't really need it, but sometimes, you just don't want to tax your mana.

If you want to make money, take BOTH professions in gathering. I recommend skinning and mining (collect and sell the stacks at the Auction House). Otherwise, I recommend Alchemy & Herbalism. Alchemy gives some very nice stat boosts. You get increases in armor, stamina, strength, health regen and agility by drinking various potions you created.

Don't tie yourself to one class. Roll a few different classes and races. See whats best for you. I like paladin, because I love soloing. Its slow, but sure and steady.

8. Jsmit macrumors regular

I frequently looked at the maps in the manual. I still do, but I have only been playing for a month. Guess I'm still a newbie.

If the troggs didn't kill you than I don't see why you will have too much of problem in around Kharanos. It the level of the enemies are yellow or green you should be ok in an area (if your not foolish).

You can meet people in towns, during quests, through a guild, or through the general chat.

To repair items visit a weapons or armor merchant.

I suggest you read the manual, doing so can prevent in game embarrassments. It really is useful.

Best of Luck

9. Patmian212 thread starter macrumors 68020

Patmian212

10. Palad1 macrumors 6502a

Palad1

My dear giant,

It seems like you wandered a bit astray, didn't you?

I hear the burgers from Kharanos village need some brave dwarves to run some errants for them. I heard ghastly things about frostmane trolls there...

You can find the Kharanos village just south of Ironforge, then turn left and stop at the stoutlager inn form me!

Now would you please put out your campfire? It is very warm indeed, but I think the auctionmasters don't really appreciate someone setting camp in their Auction House.

Good travel, may you stand in the light and your shadow be strong.

PoudreFeu,
    Tailor, Enchanter, Exorcist.
    Room 3, Thelsamar Inn,
    Loch Mordan - Dun Modr

[​IMG]

11. Patmian212 thread starter macrumors 68020

Patmian212

Guys, I made a new character, Fredster level8 hunter dwarf. Also I got some new quests from the quarry to kill 10 bonebraker troggs and one to kill frostmane trolls in kharanos(spelt wrong 100% sure). These quests are really difficult and I need to be like level 13 or 14 to complete them, it is taking me forever to level up killing normal monsers. Is there a better way to go about doing this?

Also I went to ironforge to explore and I want to know HOW DO PEOPLE NOT GET LOST IN THERE ITS HUGE :p .

Also how do I get to stormwind or should I wait to go there?

Also I forgot to visit Loch Modan, can I find easy quests there?

Thanks for being so patient
    Patmian212

12. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

I can't think of a better way to level up :). Questing and killing things are the only 2 ways to level up.

Ironforge is rather large, however it is the best city in the game. The only bad thing about it is all the lag caused by everyone being at the auction house.

There's no real reason to go there right now, but it definitely wouldn't hurt you. The area outside of Stormwind (usually spelled SW by WoWers) has similarely leveled mobs to those outside of Ironforge (usually spelled IF by WoWers). But to get there you take a tram which is located inside Tinkertown in Stormwind. Don't forget to get the flight path in every city you visit.

You aren't quite ready to go to Loch Modan. It is a level 10+ territory, I'd say.

Here is what I recommend for the fastest leveling:
    • Stay in Dun Morogh till level 10
    • Go to Loch Modan (by going east in Dun Morogh, then through one of the passes)
    • At 14, go to Westfall, and start questing your butt off
    • At 18 start doing the Deadmins/Van Cleef instance. You will hear people say "LFG DM/VC" or "LFM DM/VC" and what they are saying is that they are Looking For a Group (or More if they say LFM) for Deadmines/Van Cleef. At 18, simply whisper em and say "I'm in" or something to that affect and they should invite you to the group.
    • Just repeat that instance till you are level 23. DM is a great instance because TONS of greens drop, and you are at a stage where greens are becoming neccessary.
    • Then go to Duskwood by travelling east from Westfall
    • You should go pretty quickly from 23 to 30 there, because the quests there are lots of fun and give good experience. There are also a lot of quests that ask you to run from the graveyards at one end of duskwood to darkshire, a town at the other end of duskwood, being a hunter you have aspect of the cheetah which will be a time saver on those missions.
    • At 30, start doing gnomeregon. I wouldn't repeat this instance for experience like I would with DM because DM is more fun and gnomer can be hard.
    • Gnomeregan is an instance outside of IF and it has a plethora of missions involving it. The most important being The Grand Betrayal where you kill Sparkmaster thermaplugg. After completing all the Gnomer quests, I'd stop doing gnomer.
    • Finishing gnomer should get you at least 2 levels. So I'd then go to arathi highlands, north of the wetlands, which is north of dun morogh, but you have to go through loch modan to get there.
    • Quest in arathi
    • At 37 start doing the Scarlet Monestary instance. There is a line of quests to get some badass weapons from this instance.
    • In your lower 40's you'll be doing Uldaman
    • In your mid to upper 40's you'll be doing Zul'Farrak
    • In your upper 40's and lower 50's you'll be doing Uldaman.

I'll end my list there being that my highest level is a 48.

scem0

13. Patmian212 thread starter macrumors 68020

Patmian212

Amazing Scem0, Great guid. Although I didnt get 1 thing, whats a flight path

14. Patmian212 thread starter macrumors 68020

Patmian212

Another thing I forgot to ask(sorry for killing you guys with questions but I hate suspense), do the horde and the alliance ever interact in the game, like is there a way to get from azeroth to the hordes place? And if they do interact I imagine as soon as they see me they will all be trying to kill me, right?

Also is the point of the game just to level up and get really good or is it like diablo II where eventually you kill the boss(in this case the horde if your the alliance and the alliance if your the horde)?

PS, Now almost level 10 :D

15. peripatetic macrumors newbie

Yes. Later in the game when you are a higher level (30+) you'll need to travel to Horde continent for new quest areas, such as Tanaris.

You can attack/kill Horde at any level. My suggestion is waiting until 45+ to enter any Raids on Horde. So many lvl 60 Horde and Alliance participate in the raids (like at SouthShore and Tarren Mill) that if you take your lvl 10 or 25 or whatever there, it will just be beyond annoying and pointless.

16. AoWolf macrumors 6502a

AoWolf

Oh yes they do. If your on a PvP realm they will be able to kill you once you reach certain contested zones(mostly level 20+) If your not on a PvP realm you will still be able to fight them but at your choice. The horde guard NPCS will however attack you. I really recommend you read every thing you can about the game on worldofwarcraft.com. And if you haven't read the lore I would it makes the game feel so much "deeper".

17. AoWolf macrumors 6502a

AoWolf

Heh horde continent tell that to us Night Elfs! In reality though horde have a very strong pleasance on both continents.

Ari 60 NE warrior

18. Patmian212 thread starter macrumors 68020

Patmian212

Is there a way I can switch to a pvp server after I created a character? My Friend is on a different server and I want to play with him.

19. AoWolf macrumors 6502a

AoWolf

Nope but at level 10 you might as well just remake. I mean it should only take a little bit of work to get to ten.

20. After G macrumors 68000

After G

You could always make a different character to play with your friend.

My advice ... this game will suck away your time like a black hole, if you're not careful. For getting past hard things, just ask for help from other people. You could always grind and just keep beating on enemies to level up as well. Eventually, you get to the part where you can't really do too much without help from others though ... and that's what made me stop.

I know it's an MMO, and interaction is part of the fun, but sometimes, I just wanted to play solo for a while, and after a while it got to be too hard to do that. Can't really do an instance alone, for example.