HELP : Advice on Hard Drive Upgrade : HELP

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by aerolex, Oct 13, 2004.

1. aerolex macrumors newbie

Oct 9, 2003
    :::::::: : : : :
    :::::::::: : : : :

best regards

i'd like to ask for some advice as to how i might go about

installing a NEW HARD DRIVE . in my DUAL 2.0 G5.

i know they use SATA drives,

but do i need to buy one directly from APPLE ? ? ?

does anyone have any particular brand they might recommend,

or place from which to purchase them.

i'm looking for at least 200 GB . 7200 rpm and whatnot .

many thanks in advance

2. jackieonasses macrumors 6502a

Mar 3, 2004
    the great OKLAHOMA....
    search for any sata drive and you are good to go. I would go with a deskstar drive
  3. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

Oct 11, 2004
    On the Left Coast - Victoria BC Canada
    HELP : Advice on Hard Drive Upgrade

You don't have to buy an Apple SATA hard drive. The "big three" brands are Seagate, Maxtor and Western Digital, with Hitachi/IBM number 4.
    You'll find people who will vehemently swear by, or swear at, any of the brands. I have seen failures on all of the models, no brand is bulletproof -- and every hard drive will fail eventually.

For 3.5" SATA I personally buy mostly Seagates. To over-generalize, Maxtors are a bit less money, Western Digitals are a bit noisier.

When buying hard drives you have to be careful what warranty you are getting. The same drives could be sold with 1 year warranty or three years, depending if it is sold as a "retail" package with full manufacturer's warranty or as an "OEM" package intended for system builders, which have a short warranty. Go for the three year warranty even if it costs $10 more, and get it in writing.

Remember there is only room in that *huge* G5 case of one extra SATA drive :-( Parallel IDE drives can't be installed so you can't just take a drive out of a G4 and put it in the G5 (although Sonnet has just announced a $50 IDE-SATA bridge unit it claims is G5 compatible )

4. aerolex thread starter macrumors newbie

Oct 9, 2003

many thanks for all the advice .

i think im set on a 250 gb SEAGATE . . .

5. photo-video macrumors member

Aug 24, 2004
    Buy 300 GB Maxtor from Dell Small Business

I just bought the Maxtor 300 GB SATA Diamond Max 10 drive from Dell Small Business. I needed another drive for Final Cut Pro.

Right now Dell has an unusual 25% off all Storage and Drives and I've been eyeing this drive for quite some time. This is the cheapest I've ever seen it so I pounced on the deal.
  6. SPG macrumors 65816

Jul 24, 2001
    In the shadow of the Space Needle.
    Putting in the drive couldn't be easier. I think there are instructions in the back of the owners manual, but you really don't even need those.
    There are four screws waiting for you next to the drive bay, take those and screw them into the side of the drive which lets the drive slide on the mounting rail,slide the drive in and plug in the SATA cable. I did this a year ago, and I'm not in front of my G5, but you get the idea of how easy it is.