Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cywu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 1, 2009
i have a iphone 2g. it was jailbreak-ed, recently i Erase All Contents and Settings, The erase process is normal, the logo and the progress bar were
displayed as predicted. but at the end the iphone did not return to its reset state, it repeatedly displays the logo, and can't connect to the itune ( the usb is not work).
now my problem is "Is jailbreak-ed iphone can't do the "Erase All Contents and Settings"operation? and what can i do to regain the USB function and restore the iphone.

DPA

macrumors 65816
i have a iphone 2g. it was jailbreak-ed, recently i Erase All Contents and Settings, The erase process is normal, the logo and the progress bar were
displayed as predicted. but at the end the iphone did not return to its reset state, it repeatedly displays the logo, and can't connect to the itune ( the usb is not work).
now my problem is "Is jailbreak-ed iphone can't do the "Erase All Contents and Settings"operation? and what can i do to regain the USB function and restore the iphone.

I think that your USB ports are working and it's just that iTunes is not recognizing the device. Follow these instructions and your should be able to get it to work:

Hard Reset:
1) Power iPhone on.
2) Hold the Home and Sleep/Wake buttons for about 7 seconds, or until the screen turns black.
3) Your iPhone should reboot. If it doesn't don't worry, just hold the Sleep/Wake button for about 2 seconds.

Forced Restore:
1) Turn iPhone off by holding down the Sleep/Wake Button for about 5 seconds or until the Slide to Power Off slider appears.
2) Slide Power Off slider. If iPhone is unresponsive, follow the Hard Reset instructions up to Step 3.
3) Open iTunes on your computer (Mac or PC).
4) Hold the Home Button down while you connect your iPhone to your computer via a USB cable.
5) iTunes should prompt you with a message saying an iPhone has been detected in Recovery Mode and that you must Restore it to before it can be used with iTunes.
6) Click Ok.
7) Click Restore a message should appear confirming that you want to Restore and Update.
8) Click Restore and Update. The restore has been initiated. Leave your iPhone connected until you iPhone reboots and syncs with iTunes.

David

cywu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 1, 2009
Thank you so much man!

David
You are right ,my USB ports are working and it's just that iTunes is not recognizing the device.
Now my iphone was saved and working properly. Thanks for the timely post.
But the recovery efforts had failed a few times, it just because :
1: when I connected USB to the computer sometimes iphone displayed a recovery logo. It didn’t Like this:

( Omitted )

But a full screen picture, where a guy speaks Russian language. I don’t know what it means. Now I knew It is just the recovery logo.
2 after the itune had run there was still nothing happened, no download and no message box tell you
What to do.
After several failures, I found that the PC I using is not an administrator, so the itune refused to do the recovery. Until I use Mac instead. I think this is a rare case.

bradenwh

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2008
Goodness, how many people have done this?

Ok. Let's break this down, kay?

You wanted to "erase all content and settings." This ERASES ALL CONTENT AND SETTINGS, which includes the operating system. You're supposed to restore the phone after you do this, since you blew away your operating system.

Why do people keep getting surprised when the iPhone doesn't boot? IT NO LONGER HAS AN OS.

Turn the phone off by holding down the home and sleep/wake buttons at the same time. Once it turns off, hold down the home button as you plug it into the computer. It will go into Recovery Mode, then simply restore in iTunes.

DPA

macrumors 65816
Why do people keep getting surprised when the iPhone doesn't boot? IT NO LONGER HAS AN OS.

If you didn't get why iTunes isn't recognizing the device, this explains it. Since there is no OS, there are no protocols for the iPhone to follow once plugged into the computer. The iPhone and computer both have protocols but if one isn't working, the other one will, usually, fail.

Also, if you have a Mac, the recent 10.5.6 update disables DFU Mode so it won't be recognized in DFU mode. So if you had it in DFU Mode because you thought it may fix it, your Mac will not recognize it.

Turn the phone off by holding down the home and sleep/wake buttons at the same time. Once it turns off, hold down the home button as you plug it into the computer. It will go into Recovery Mode, then simply restore in iTunes.

What I recommended yesterday. I have just called it a forced restore for some reason which I can't remember why...
David

bradenwh

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2008
This is simple. Don't hack, and maybe you wouldn't have this problem. :)

If you haven't noticed, this problem wasn't due to the hacking. It was a totally normal occurrence. This happens whether or not your iPhone is jailbroken or not.

You sound so judgmental. Research, and maybe you wouldn't have this problem. :rolleyes:

cywu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 1, 2009
title of operation “erase all content and settings” is confusion

I think all these trouble and inconvenience is due to the very very confusion title of the operation “erase all content and settings”. To me the content means the music and video, the settings means The brightness control, contrast control ………. I never thought it deal with the OS.
If the title changed to “erase system and all content” or gave a detailed warning message when you try it, the thing will be different.

dsim87

macrumors member
Feb 7, 2008
I am in the same boat as the OP except I did not jailbreak my iPhone. I was having restore issues (Error 1602) so I followed Apples troubleshooting steps and go to Erase all content and settings. Now the phone does not power on. I have tried to hold the home button when plugging the phone in and iTunes still does not recognize. Any suggestions??

bytethese

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2007
I think all these trouble and inconvenience is due to the very very confusion title of the operation “erase all content and settings”. To me the content means the music and video, the settings means The brightness control, contrast control ……….

Unfortunately to everyone else "ALL CONTENT" means, all content. :)

Glad you were able to resolve your issues tho!

Dj Incognito

macrumors newbie
Mar 5, 2009
Unfortunately to everyone else "ALL CONTENT" means, all content. :)

Glad you were able to resolve your issues tho!

I've gotta say... As variable as the english language is, I can't help but feel like that phrase is a gross misuse; Almost misleading. But anyhow, I thank all of you guys for your knowledge and insight. You've saved my hide. After days of brooding, all I had to do was hold the button while I connected it. Who'd have thunk it.

Thanks again.

Moi un Mouton

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2008
Bracknell UK
I am in the same boat as the OP except I did not jailbreak my iPhone. I was having restore issues (Error 1602) so I followed Apples troubleshooting steps and go to Erase all content and settings. Now the phone does not power on. I have tried to hold the home button when plugging the phone in and iTunes still does not recognize. Any suggestions??

Get the phone into DFU mode and then connect. This video shows how:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofpinyGlQ8I&feature=related

That should sort you out ok

Figbash Acrobat

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2009
Alphaville
Erased ALL CONTENT, but none of this button bizness...

Odd... I just did "Erase All Content and Settings" on my iPhone 3G OS 3.0 beta 3 and it did in fact take about an hour. HOWEVER, after it was done it asked to be plugged into iTunes, so to speak. Then I chose restore as a New Phone and then it just booted up as usual in OS 3.0. Never had to attempt a DFU mode, nor touch a single button. All visible content is gone, all settings restored, disk essentially empty.

Is something wrong here?? Or is this the way it should happen? I was expecting to go through the aforementioned steps and at the very least hold the buttons without DFU (just recovery mode I guess) but it just recognized the phone and restored.

Is this what they'll do anyways at the Apple Store when I go in for a replacement (broken silent switch)?? I just hope it's not an issue that I'm on OS 3.0 without my own developer's account. :( Whatchyathink?

khkman22

macrumors member
Mar 4, 2009
Downgrade baseband?

After erasing all the contents and settings, is it possible to do the shift+restore through itunes and then install only 2.2 firmware (my phone came with 2.2.1) that would also have your baseband downgraded. I'm assuming the answer is no, but since it erases everything, including the OS, I thought maybe there is a slight chance.

And what about the bootloader version? If I could downgrade it to 5.8 instead of my 6.0, then I would be okay with my 2.30.03 baseband.

erase

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2009
help !!!!!!!!!!!!

I ve just got my iphone, it was used so I wanted to erase all old pictures and music. I pressed the erase all content and settings, and after reading this forum posts, I got known that I erased the complete OS. How can I reinstall the OS back on the Iphone ?

thank you...

ganapati

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2009
i have a iphone i had restore the sets but now sets dosent boot up it only show apple icon and hangs up.When i connect to usb it shows only i bar of a battery and my computers dosent reconsise it?

Pls help

rexhepsaiti

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2009
Help Me Please

I Erase My Iphone After I Restore My Iphone To Frimevare Iphone1.1_3.1. And When I Browse With Quickpwn Dont Accept This Version Plese Tell Me What To Do To Jaillbreak My Iphone Again

farukavdiu

macrumors newbie
Feb 4, 2009
need help

hi there,
got a big problem i think with my iphone.
i accidentally touched to erase all content and settings and after it starts erasing it i stoped with doing reebot(home + power button)
when i try to power up i got only apple logo for some seconds and it turns off.
i try dfu mode but no success.
itunes doesnt recognise it.
what to do pls??

ralphcastle

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2009
my computer doesnt even read it anymore :/ i did the same as above xD. but now its stuck on the boot logo. my mac does charge it but its stuck on the boot logo. is there some software to automatically put the phone in DFu

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
Where bunnies are welcome.
Well, if DFU mode won't work, try this. First open iTunes and connect your USB cord to your computer, but do not plug it into your iPhone. Then press and hold the home button on your phone while connecting the USB cord into your iPhone, while continuing to hold down the home button. Then click restore in iTunes.

sean2100ad

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2009
hi there,
got a big problem i think with my iphone.
i accidentally touched to erase all content and settings and after it starts erasing it i stoped with doing reebot(home + power button)
when i try to power up i got only apple logo for some seconds and it turns off.
i try dfu mode but no success.
itunes doesnt recognise it.
what to do pls??

DUDE first thing is this that i had done the same stupidity after upgrading a customers Iphone 2g and jailbreaking and unlocking
I did it so that i can keep the secrecy

When we erase content and reset settings it even erases the OS

Now u need to keep the sleep/wake button and the home button until it switces off

then keep the home button pressed and insert the USB cable

Handset will be in restore mode and u may now restore from the Itunes

once done ur handset will be restored. If u have a jailbroken handset and unlocked also as i had
it will be unjailbroken again BUT the UNLOCK WILL BE UNLOCKED if u have restored it with the same firmware version

SO CHEERS BUDDY

Luci3n

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2008
Well, if DFU mode won't work, try this. First open iTunes and connect your USB cord to your computer, but do not plug it into your iPhone. Then press and hold the home button on your phone while connecting the USB cord into your iPhone, while continuing to hold down the home button. Then click restore in iTunes.

I was going nuts for a while, trying to get past this part of restoring my OS. I was plugging the cable into the phone first, then holding the home button while plugging in the USB. It doesn't work that way. If anyone finds this post like me, do the reverse like 'aggie' mentioned above. Plug the cable into your computer first, then hold the home button and plug it into your iPhone.

On a similar topic, Apple should have emphasized the fact that the OS gets deleted when you 'erase all content and settings'. Content doesn't suggest to me that the OS would get deleted, too. Maybe if it said 'delete the entire contents', then I would assume the OS would be included. Anyway, we could argue semantics all day long. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.