Help against Nigerian scammers!!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by mariahlullaby, Mar 8, 2005.

1. mariahlullaby macrumors 6502a

mariahlullaby

I have had a ton of problems fending off Nigerian scammers on my eBay auction for my laptop computer. I have listed the system THREE times on eBay now. The first auction didn't meet my reserve (but I got four emails from Nigerians trying to scam me), the second was bought using Buy It Now by a Nigeria within one hour of listing (though it specifically said only in the US) and I had to work with eBay to get my money for listing refunded, etc. (the person was already under investigation by eBay and was no longer a registered user). Today, I relisted my computer and blocked African bidders along with anyone who had negative feedback of -1 or more. So, a US based Nigerian used Buy It Now and wants it shipped to guess where. It has been so FRUSTATING! I want to sell my computer, but is there a way to keep these scammers out??? It's a huge pain in the neck to keep relisting, contacting eBay, etc.

Thanks!

2. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Well obviously, don't use Buy it Now. The scammers don't care what price it is because they're getting it for free anyway - so they'll just jump on any buy it now. They don't have to be Nigerian as you have found out. Just list the auction as normal and you have the ability to disallow bids that don't meet your stated criteria.

3. eleveneastgate macrumors 6502

PreApprovedBuyers/BiddersList

Consider using eBay's PreApproved Buyers/Bidders list. I ALWAYS use this on high ticket items, this way you're in full control of your auction :D :

click here

4. pdpfilms macrumors 68020

pdpfilms

I'd avoid buy it now as well... it means the scammers have to work to get it, rather than just getting it done in a day or two. I've sold a few computers and high priced electronics and never ran into the problem.... never used buy it now either. just for fun, go to http://www.p-p-p-powerbook.com/. It might give you some ideas.

5. killuminati macrumors 68020

killuminati

6. mariahlullaby thread starter macrumors 6502a

mariahlullaby

Thanks

I've taken a look at the site before- hilarious!! I don't really want to scam the scammer, I just want to sell my computer :p . If I can get another refund, and can't sell the computer to a private buyer (much easier!!), then I'll probably relist it sans BIT. Thanks guys!!! I can't wait to get my Mac so I can actually start contributing to the board and not just ask a bunch of questions :p :p

7. rdowns Suspended

rdowns

Depending on where you live, you might want to give www.craigslist.com a try. Have had success selling locally.

8. Pismo macrumors 6502

Pismo

Me too

I had this problem last week also. Somone sent me an e-mail about a laptop I was selling on eBay last week and offered $1600 for it (not sure if they meant US currency, I doubt it). The PC laptop was two years old and I paid $2000 for it. I was only expecting $500 for it but this wanted it for his daughter and needed it shipped over night to Nigeria. He was also offering to pay through Western Union. All of the alarms were sounding and red flags were going up. THis guy was a scammer

I forwarded his e-mail he sent me to eBay's fraud department and I never responded to his e-mail. I think his plan was for him to pay me the money, have me ship it the next day and then takes his money. So, he'd be getting a free laptop. I hate these people!!!

9. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

I stopped using ebay and just post my things at all the area colleges and seems to work out very well. Being a student myself I look for deals that way all the time. Good luck with your ebay selling.
    Thanks for posting that link for everyone I may give that a try ;)

10. fartheststar macrumors 6502a

fartheststar

Is there any honest transaction going through Nigeria?

It's hard to believe anyone would still fall for any of the email scams, eBay scams anymore but I'm sure there are some.

I can sympathize with the original poster - eBay can be a great place to get something at a good price or sell your product, but these people are just making it difficult for anyone to do business with these high ticket items.

Too bad really....

11. bopat macrumors newbie

Bought my first mac from craigslist....YESTERDAY!!!

Hi all,

Just wanted to say that I bought my first mac (a 12" PB rev A.) from a local seller through craislist. That was just after I sold my peecee laptop the day before!!!

It's a cool place.

"Finally, a mac head" (sigh!)

cheers :)