Help.. Aiport Base or Linksys wireless??

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by djniche, Jul 19, 2002.

1. djniche macrumors regular

Apr 10, 2002
    I hope you guys can help me out with this...

I want to go wireless with my cable internet connection and create a network between my G4 tower, a PC machine and a Ti book.

What is best the mac aiport base or the linksys version?

I have cable moden and I want to connect the two desktops with wires. Do I need another router or just a hub to have these with internet connection. I know that the linksys has 4 ports for wired desktops.

I know if I choose the airport I'll have no problems with the Ti book wireless connection. how bout i if i go with the linksys - would that recognize the airport card in the tibook??

thanks for your help on this..
  2. Macpoops macrumors 6502

Jan 15, 2002
    if you go airport obviously it will be easier to setup but you will need to go out and buy an ethernet switch to connect more then one computer too it. that'll set you back about 50 bucks. and all you'll have to do is connect it to the lan port no settings or nothing plus you get the added benefit of a firewall which i am not sure the linksys has. I also have had problems setting up my linksys wired router to my dsl modem while the airport just worked.
  3. cleo macrumors 65816

Jan 21, 2002
    Tampa Bay Area, FL, USA

I had one for about six months. My initial setup was one wired PC, one wireless PC, and one iMac with Airport card. Setup was initially relatively painless, but a few times a week I had to reset everything to get it to redistribute IP's, as the DCHP just didn't seem to work very well. No biggie.

Then I brought home my new iBook, and all hell broke loose. I could never, after hours and hours of trying every possible configuration, get the Linksys router to see both Macs at the same time. It was horrible.

So I sold the Linksys, bought an Airport, had everything up and running in literally less than 5 minutes, and have had zero problems since. No resets, nothing. Yeah, it's more expensive, and in your case you'll need an additional hub for the two wired machines, but it is sooooo worth it in time and aggravation. :)
  4. djniche thread starter macrumors regular

Apr 10, 2002
    thanks for your help so far.. I've been doing some research on the linksys also and I've read the same problems you described - I think I'm scrating the linksys from my list.

Using the Airport - One question I still have is wheter I would need a hub or another router to connect the two desktops.
    You mention the hub is all that is needed. I called the apple store near me and they said that I would need a router to have the two wire desktops?? He didnt sound sure -he must be new.

which one is it hub or router?? I want to clarify this before I go and get the airport..

5. Macpoops macrumors 6502

Jan 15, 2002
    I originally tried to hook up 2 wired to the airport with a linksys router and it doesn't work. After consulting these boards specificly Alphatech i was told to buy a ethernet switch and it works simply by plugging it in and thats that
  6. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Nov 1, 2001
    wow, I have a Linksys Wireless 4 port router and it works great, never had a problem - G4 Tower connected with rj45, TIPB wireless and Compaq Laptop wireless. I have a cable modem connecting to the router. Hell, I've had friends come over with their iBooks and link in with the Airport Card without a hitch.

I guess I might be lucky, but who knows. The reason I bought it in the first place was it was $100 cheaper than the Airport Basestation.

Good luck with what ever you decide to go with.

7. AlphaTech macrumors 601

Oct 4, 2001
    Natick, MA
    With the airport base station (the new one) you don't need another router, and you don't want a hub. Get a network switch (better technology and faster networking).

Here's my setup... DSL modem plugged into the WAN port on the base station. 8-port Netgear fast ethernet (10/100) switch plugged into the LAN port on the base (plugging into the uplink port on the switch). Game peecee plugged into one of the ethernet switch ports, as is my Epson C80N printer. I have the airport card inside my 800MHz TiBook and am using that at this very moment to go online.

With the base station and all the computers/devices connected as they are, I can print from either system to the same printer, as well as go online at the same exact time.

In my opinion, the airport base station IS worth the money it costs, hands down. It is a snap to setup, stays connected to my ISP for me 24/7 (because I told it to) and gives out IP addresses to any system/device connected to it (via DHCP). You can set how long the DHCP IP address lease lasts, before being cancelled and a new IP being given to that computer/device.

I had NO problem connecting to the internet with my win2k game system. I also had a G4 tower (until I sold it) and it was able to go online without issue (plugged it into my switch). I also work on other people's computers from time to time at home, and I go online with my setup with their systems (to get updates and such). I have yet to have a system that couldn't go online with my current configuration (Mac or pc).
  8. Quark macrumors regular

Jan 9, 2002
    Router, Hub, Switch.... oh my!

I have had a pc network for years using the BayNetworks NetGear RT311 connected to a Switch.

I got a flatpanel iMac in January, Airport2 basestation.

Now I have three M$ PCs connected (wired) and the new iMac (wirelessly) connected -- all on one network.

The Airport2 Base station is the Router, you never need more than one router for a home network with one cable modem or one DSL connection.

I don't recommend getting a HUB. Look for something called a switch -- you'll be happier, read the boxes and you'll see how a hub and a switch are related, but different.

Bottom Line: Save yourself a lot of setup grief and get the Airport2 Basestation and a switch (or hub). The Airport Admin. software in OS X is outstanding and it gets even better with each update. Seemless integration.

If you need assistance with this, I have a couple of other threads where I helped out others in the same situation and can point you to additional resources.

Take care,