help! airport usb printing problems

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by wisefool, Feb 1, 2006.

1. wisefool macrumors newbie

I have a powerbook G4 and an iBook connected via airport to a DSL modem on the WAN port of the airport. I also have a Brother MFC 4800 connected via USB. At one time everything worked smoothly. However, now when sending to print, it suddenly freezes the print center up. If I turn the printer on & off it will unstick the print center and I can get it to print.

If I take the DSL out of the equation, USB printer works fine from airport.

What's going on? Why so suddenly? One computer runs 10.2.8, the other 10.4

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Hmm, the first thing that jumps to mind is it could be a bandwidth problem. Is there heavy traffic on your wireless network when this happens (transferring files from one machine to another)? Nevertheless, even if the bandwidth reaches 100%, the thing shouldn't be behaving this way.

What changes did you make to the set up before this occurred? :)

3. wisefool thread starter macrumors newbie

nope not bandwidth

this problem is consistent regardless of bandwidth. . . I could only have one computer turned on & accessing the airport & still have the problem.

Also, the maddening thing is that there was no change in set up -- it just mysteriously started one day, when it worked fine the day before.

I'm wondering if it may have something to do with the airport/ethernet connection? Don't really know anything about it, but just trial & error notice that when I disconnect the DSL from the WAN port the problem goes away.

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

5. wisefool thread starter macrumors newbie

mmm. . .not sure what those are, so probably not.

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I mean apps like LimeWire for downloading files from other machines over the internet. They're pretty good at taking down wireless networks.

Is it an Express, Extreme or regular AirPort? What firmware version is it? :)

7. wisefool thread starter macrumors newbie

Aha! Thanks.

So the answer is no -- no apps like that.

I have a "snow" airport firmware version 5.1.1

8. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Hmm, well the troubleshooting guide may throw up something useful. It mentions how to reset a base station which is probably your best bet so far. Sorry for not being very helpful. :eek:

9. wisefool thread starter macrumors newbie

Aha! Thanks.

Thanks for the reference -- through the guide, I went into my airport setup and found the setting for "remote printing" Checked the box and presto! All is well again in printer land. Go figure.