Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

polevault139

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 24, 2006
Illinois
Hello everyone,

I just went to update to 10.4.8 and all of the other updates to the iLife suite. 10.4.8 would not update at all. All of the other programs did. Things worked okay for a while but then, this morning I turned on my computer and all of my pictures and songs are gone (I dont have that much on this computer because I got it last week, my first mac). I can still find my music in the finder but not in iTunes, but I can not find my pictures anywhere Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Well I guess I'm going to use all of the backup CD's I have

NJuul

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2006
Boston
You mean youre iPhoto and iTunes libraries were empty?

Your files are probably still there, for some reason your iTunes and iPhoto libraries were simply recreated and thus empty.
I think iTunes makes a backup of your iTunes library file before it upgrades (Music -> iTunes -> Previous iTunes Libraries). Drag your iTunes library file (music -> iTunes) to the desktop, and place your previous iTunes library file in music -> iTunes, and make sure it's named "iTunes Library", not "iTunes Library 2006-09-30" or something like that.
Don't know if iPhoto backs up before it's upgraded, but if not, search for your files, and import them manually. Sucks.

Good luck.

polevault139

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 24, 2006
Illinois
Thanks for your help I restored the iTunes library, but I can't find my pictures. Luckily after being stuck with windows for so long I back everything up so it won't take me that long. Again thank you for you help

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Did you rename your Home folder perchance? If so, create a new administrator account in System Preferences, log into it, rename your current Home folder back to what it originally was, and log back into it. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.